Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam 4/C - Construction and Evaluation of Actuarial Models
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Life Actuarial Jobs
& Annuities,

& Investments
Worldwide

Salary Surveys
Life & Health

Pension
Property & Casualty

DW Simpson & Co.
Actuarial
Recruitment
Worldwide

Casualty Jobs
& Property -- Worldwide
Reinsurance,

Insurance, Bureaus & Consulting

Old 10-28-2010, 01:45 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Allagash White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jass View Post
Probably not that many though, and they're probably the formulas any decent actuary would know like the back of their hand
Back when I took exam C in 2006, there were about 20 formulas you had to know.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:54 PM

Hardest of the prelims, passed with a 7 with two months of studying (working every single problem in ASM manual). I give him very little chance of passing.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:56 PM
SOA

I didn't think C was that bad. 100 total study hours, no manual, no classroom exposure. Textbooks and practice problems FTW!
Old 10-28-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhildeTruth View Post
Dear Exam C forum,

I bet someone $500 they would fail exam C. This person just got through the exam C study manual 2 days ago.

A couple years ago, this would be an auto-fail, but I have no idea what you kids are taking now with your IAA redesigned 3.5 hours nonsense.

Any insights?

Thanks,

PdT
The 4 hour exam C (now 3.5 hours) was probably harder, but the 2 hour MFE (now 2.5 hours) was easier. Combined MFE+C is probably at roughly the same difficulty after the switch as it was before. Between MFE and C, I doubt little has changed. For what it's worth, I think splitting the 6 hours of material between the 2 exams combined into 2.5 and 3.5 hour segments makes more sense than 2 and 4 hour segments.

I wouldn't take that money to the bank just yet though. When is the next C sitting? When I sat for prelims, I didn't get completely through the manuals until about 3 weeks before the test, and I did decently on them. I did just about every problem along the way though, so the last three weeks were mostly just refershing my mind about the stuff I did earlier, rather than doing any re-learning.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:41 PM
SOA

I studied more for C than the others and passed comfortably with a 10. The material itself isn't difficult, it's the amount of material that gets everyone worked up. I thought the questions showing up on exams were more difficult and complex than those which showed up in samples taken from old exams. However, that could also be because I'm not taking samples in a "stressful" test environment.

I wouldn't say that its easier today just because its 3.5 hours instead of 4 hours, but I wouldn't doubt it either. I haven't looked enough into the difficulty of the topics that have been removed to comment. Of course, that material adds to the amount of material tested, which seems to be the most daunting part of C for most people.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhildeTruth View Post
Dear Exam C forum,

I bet someone $500 they would fail exam C. This person just got through the exam C study manual 2 days ago.

A couple years ago, this would be an auto-fail, but I have no idea what you kids are taking now with your IAA redesigned 3.5 hours nonsense.

Any insights?

Thanks,

PdT
Interesting. Someone I work with never finishes the material with more than a week to spare. She rarely takes practice tests. She has passed each of the prelims on the first attempt.

I wouldn't call her a "natural". It's just that her study style is to go through each section very thoroughly, and has the ability to retain information for long periods of time. She takes 2-3 days to review/memorize necessary formulas, and then proceeds to squeeze by with a 6 or 7 on each exam.

I wish I could do this...
Old 10-28-2010, 02:53 PM

Also, have you considered that he may be sandbagging? i.e. He may have only finished the manual 2 days ago, but could have been reviewing all along the way.

I'll put your chances at 50/50. I don't think someone is willing to drop $500 unless they think they've got a good shot of passing. If he is through the manual, he probably has a decent idea where he stands going into the final week of review.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jass View Post
Probably not that many though, and they're probably the formulas any decent actuary would know like the back of their hand
I didn't have as much difficulty with the formulas and concepts of this exam as my former coworkers did (well I didn't take it yet but still comeon).

I think it is reasonable if some of the credibility and empirical model formulas will require memorization.
However, if someone needs to memorize a formula for loss elimination ratio or how deductibles are handled at this point, they got a very uphill battle ahead of them.

Last edited by CSMajor; 10-28-2010 at 04:01 PM..
Old 10-28-2010, 03:45 PM
CAS AAA

what is this guys track record on the other prelims? did he take parts 1,2,3 at the same time and pass? i have been studying this stuff since july and i am still not quite confident yet.

if he only has 2 weeks, i dont know how he will do it. it took me 2 weeks to understand credibility all the way.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:08 PM

Question: Is this a co-worker or some other actuary you know from Podunk? I am assuming you already factored in that podunk have a much lower probability of passing an exam. Also $500 means A LOT more to someone in podunk.