Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 09-05-2018, 02:12 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
Well, first, I think Polly Math tends to spread a lot of bad information, if you assume he's speaking to a US audience. He's not very knowledgeable about the US market, but London and EU are different. I feel like he needs that disclaimer on a lot of his posts in Employment, because most people on this board are looking for info on US.

Anyway, not a life actuary, but Milliman or Big 4 or NYL are better if you want to be an actuary doing actuarial work. McKinsey would open other doors and be better for some other things. JPM is a bit misleading, they have so many people in so many divisions doing so many different levels of work. The guy that got an AS degree and passed a few exams but couldn't get hired at Allstate so he's currently working for JPM... as a personal banker at my local Chase branch... not impressive.
So not a Life Actuary.

It's always such a pleasure to see advice from people with little to no life industry experience.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:13 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by redprinceton View Post
A quick survey of Actuaries working at Poly's "high tier" companies dispels the idea that they don't consider your if you're not from a prestige school, by the way.

Get your foot in the door somewhere, and do really great work. No one should care about where you went to school after that.
You are being a bit naive, but thats ok.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Polymath View Post
So not a Life Actuary.

It's always such a pleasure to see advice from people with little to no life industry experience.
Aren't you one of those people with little life industry experience offering advice?
Old 09-05-2018, 02:25 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooBeay View Post
Aren't you one of those people with little life industry experience offering advice?
My experience has only been in the life industry. (Mutual, big insurer, big reinsurer, and now consulting) And it is vast.

Far more so that the people on this thread who are either P&C, Health, or Pensions.

Which is why I am amused.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:30 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Early and Often

Quote:
A quick survey of Actuaries working at Poly's "high tier" companies dispels the idea that they don't consider your if you're not from a prestige school, by the way.

Get your foot in the door somewhere, and do really great work. No one should care about where you went to school after that.
Ah, that's my problem!
I think the dollar will crash irreparably by 2012.... bottom drops out of the dollar. ....Dollars are worthless, 401ks are bust, the markets are valueless...government assumes control over all industry and everything is nationalized by the end of 2012. - gomer_tree
Old 09-05-2018, 02:32 PM
Free Mason

Studying for Let me worry about blank
Favorite beer: Trappistes Rochefort 8

There are some jobs where you are paid to have your butt in the seat for a specified amount of time. Those jobs suck. Person B is great for those.

There are lots of jobs where that doesn't matter, but person B type people get all annoyed that they are 'working hard' while person A isn't. They also suck.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
My experience has only been in the life industry. (Mutual, big insurer, big reinsurer, and now consulting) And it is vast.

Far more so that the people on this thread who are either P&C, Health, or Pensions.

Which is why I am amused.
I am amused that your experience is limited to just one line, but yet you offer the same advice/statements to all actuaries.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
You are being a bit naive, but thats ok.
The Society keeps a directory of credentialed actuaries, including who works where. From there, it's a matter of cross-referencing the names with Google to see where they went to school.

Good schools are probably over represented, as are schools with famous actuarial programs. Smart kids tend to go to good schools and kids interested in ActSci tend to graduate from actuarial programs.

I'm not trying to convince you. I know you're a lost cause. But Ditka is right. People come here in search of genuine career advice.

JP Morgan and other money making machines love making money. And they want people who can help them do that. They're not going to trash your podunk state resume just to save the few minutes it takes to leaf through paper and arrange a phone interview. We don't live in that hellscape quite yet.
President Trump is a white supremacist.

Spoiler:
We've been over this many times, but since some people like to pretend we haven't, I'm using my sig as a place to list the fairly obvious examples of treating whites as superior to others.

Now, when lazy and disingenuous people try to claim ignorance, I'm 100% entitled to dismissing them as lazy or disingenuous. Hope it helps!

The short list
Old 09-05-2018, 05:28 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
The Society keeps a directory of credentialed actuaries, including who works where. From there, it's a matter of cross-referencing the names with Google to see where they went to school.

Good schools are probably over represented, as are schools with famous actuarial programs. Smart kids tend to go to good schools and kids interested in ActSci tend to graduate from actuarial programs.

I'm not trying to convince you. I know you're a lost cause. But Ditka is right. People come here in search of genuine career advice.

JP Morgan and other money making machines love making money. And they want people who can help them do that. They're not going to trash your podunk state resume just to save the few minutes it takes to leaf through paper and arrange a phone interview. We don't live in that hellscape quite yet.
This is all based on your complete experience in the Life industry, and top tier companies of course.

Like I said, it's cute how naive you are.

Status always matters. You simply think that it doesn't because you don't want to deal with that reality. Also, it would not be kind to your own background. Like most on here.

Current place I work at has a minimum standard of: Postgraduate degree at a top school (preferably a doctorate), 5 years industry experience, and can speak another foreign language.

And that is the minimum standard.

Last edited by The_Polymath; 09-05-2018 at 05:32 PM..
Old 09-05-2018, 05:30 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooBeay View Post
I am amused that your experience is limited to just one line, but yet you offer the same advice/statements to all actuaries.
I was offering my views on the Life industry only. Sorry if I was not super clear.