Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 06-28-2019, 08:03 AM
SOA

Default Introducing Elizur a free and open Python actuarial library

Today I am introducing a free and open source Python library I have been working on called Elizur. The library is intended for life actuaries and students who want to perform basic life calculations in Python. The target audience is admittedly quite small and if you donít meet that demographic this post probably isnít for you. The project name is a nod to Elizur Wright. It is licensed with version 3 of the GNU General Public License. Please take the time to check out the link above!

If you have suggestions, find bugs, or just want to chat you can join us on Slack for free or post them here. The project is still in its early suggestions so feedback is appreciated. If you are new to Python, the Slack chat is a great place to get help with learning.

Thanks for your time!

EDIT: Reddit conversation here

Last edited by AceOfSpades; 07-01-2019 at 11:24 PM..
Old 06-28-2019, 09:31 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceOfSpades View Post
Today I am introducing a free and open source Python library I have been working on called Elizur. The project name is a nod to Elizur Wright. It is licensed with version 3 of the GNU General Public License. Please take the time to check out the link above!

If you have suggestions, find bugs, or just want to chat you can join us on Slack for free or post them here. The project is still in its early suggestions so feedback is appreciated. If you are interested in giving formal feedback there is a survey here. If you are new to Python, the Slack chat is a great place to get help with learning.

Thanks for your time!
Looks interesting -- just reading the documentation a bit, I just assume that for the life tables, q_x is assumed to be 1 for ages past however long the vector you give it -- is that a correct assumption?

LinkedIn Profile
Old 06-28-2019, 09:38 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
Looks interesting -- just reading the documentation a bit, I just assume that for the life tables, q_x is assumed to be 1 for ages past however long the vector you give it -- is that a correct assumption?
No - if you try to access a value outside of the vector's max length it will error right now. I think returning 1 for a request that is out of bounds would be a better solution. I will get that added next release. Also, checkout nqx or tqxn for other options.

Last edited by AceOfSpades; 06-28-2019 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: Misread

Tags
elizur, python