Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Old 08-17-2014, 07:42 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismal Science View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright View Post
Thanks. I would also be willing to work in New Jersey, and Long Island. Even upstate New York.

So if I keep hacking at it, and passing exams (say 4, or even the 5th one), is there a decent shot I'll get in?? Or should I just consider this a pipe dream???
Upstate NY doesn't make any sense give your goal to be close to NYC...do you realize how far away that is?
I would do a 3 hour drive away from the 5 boroughs, but of course in such a case, I'd rent a room/apt, etc. At least I wouldn't be too far away from my life.

I just wonder if 4-5 exams, no actuarial job, means anything to employers???
Old 08-17-2014, 08:27 PM
CAS

I wonder how entry-level candidates got their repetitive questions answered before the outpost was created
Old 08-17-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
I would do a 3 hour drive away from the 5 boroughs, but of course in such a case, I'd rent a room/apt, etc. At least I wouldn't be too far away from my life.

I just wonder if 4-5 exams, no actuarial job, means anything to employers???
Then why not also consider Hartford/Philly? They're 2 hrs away from NYC. There are a good amount of companies there.

My company recently hired a career changer. It's definitely difficult but doable. Remember that you'll be competing against college graduates/students that have actuarial internships. You really need to stand out and be the best of all interviewing candidates. Why do you want to change? What skills/qualities do you have that will make you a successful actuary? Knowing programming and Excel will help a lot too.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:03 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Ok, so I just finished and passed the second exam (FM). The first two were a piece of cake. I'm going for the third.

I finished college a year ago with a math degree but my GPA was 2.3 (yeah...grill me now...I hated college).

I work in a desk job in a hospital doing nothing but paper work all day, and I get paid pretty bad ($36,000 a year......here in NYC it's bad). Lucky I still live with my mother, so it is not life and death.

I know it's been asked before, but I ask if having many exams (I can get 4 by next spring) will offset my really bad GPA???

ALSO, I learned beginner C++ in college, but now I've mastered Python really well on my own, I re-learned C++, and I'm really getting into computer programming. I'm also learning SQL and VBA pretty well on my own.

Even with a low GPA, would many exams, AND great computer programming skills get me a chance at a job in NYC (or even New Jersey, Long Island, or upstate New York)??? I remember reading many times here how companies like an actuary who is good at programming, and not everyone who interviews is so good at it.

Also how would I go about demonstrating my computer programming skills to employers?? My degree is applied math with economics, so I would want to know how to display my newly learned skill since my transcript tells you nothing. Thanks to everyone in advance.
You still have a much better story than most people (i.e. me included)
Old 08-17-2014, 11:03 PM

Studying for PhD in TV/VCR repair
College: University of Phoenix
Favorite beer: Mickey's Malt Liquor

Fortunately for you, a good 40% of actuarial students / actuaries are latinas

http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...d.php?t=217503
Old 08-17-2014, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderlips View Post
Fortunately for you, a good 40% of actuarial students / actuaries are latinas

http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...d.php?t=217503
Asians are WAY underrepresented on that survey...
Old 08-17-2014, 11:51 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismal Science View Post
Asians are WAY underrepresented on that survey...
Old 08-21-2014, 11:43 PM
CAS SOA

Shameless bump.

I keep seeing some job postings online having GPA requirements. Some do, some don't.

For the companies that do have that GPA requirement, would it be advisable to contact someone else inside the company (that is not a part of HR of course)???? Wouldn't it be weird to just randomly hit up people inside a company??? I mean don't they have more important things to do??? Anyone had any luck trying this route???
Old 08-21-2014, 11:54 PM
CAS

Quote:
Shameless bump.

I keep seeing some job postings online having GPA requirements. Some do, some don't.

For the companies that do have that GPA requirement, would it be advisable to contact someone else inside the company (that is not a part of HR of course)???? Wouldn't it be weird to just randomly hit up people inside a company??? I mean don't they have more important things to do??? Anyone had any luck trying this route???
Email the highest ranking person you can find, resumes that they pass along will carry more clout. Sometimes you will even get a phone call because the HR person feels obligated.
I got a couple interviews from this and it is how we got our last hire.

Last edited by Fracktuary; 08-22-2014 at 12:21 AM..
Old 08-26-2014, 12:07 AM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fracktuary View Post
Quote:
Shameless bump.

Email the highest ranking person you can find, resumes that they pass along will carry more clout. Sometimes you will even get a phone call because the HR person feels obligated.
I got a couple interviews from this and it is how we got our last hire.
Cool. I wonder if there are actuaries with 2.2 GPAs out there.

Anyone else with advice or a story?

Tags
exams, gpa, nyc, python