Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:28 PM
CAS SOA

Default Low GPA, two exams (going on three), BUT great computer programming

Ok, so I just finished and passed the second exam (FM). The first two were a piece of cake. I'm going for the third.

I finished college a year ago with a math degree but my GPA was 2.3 (yeah...grill me now...I hated college).

I work in a desk job in a hospital doing nothing but paper work all day, and I get paid pretty bad ($36,000 a year......here in NYC it's bad). Lucky I still live with my mother, so it is not life and death.

I know it's been asked before, but I ask if having many exams (I can get 4 by next spring) will offset my really bad GPA???

ALSO, I learned beginner C++ in college, but now I've mastered Python really well on my own, I re-learned C++, and I'm really getting into computer programming. I'm also learning SQL and VBA pretty well on my own.

Even with a low GPA, would many exams, AND great computer programming skills get me a chance at a job in NYC (or even New Jersey, Long Island, or upstate New York)??? I remember reading many times here how companies like an actuary who is good at programming, and not everyone who interviews is so good at it.

Also how would I go about demonstrating my computer programming skills to employers?? My degree is applied math with economics, so I would want to know how to display my newly learned skill since my transcript tells you nothing. Thanks to everyone in advance.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:31 PM
CAS SOA

Why don't you explain on here how great of a programmer you are. You'll have to do that at your interview, so get an early start on it.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:40 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Alpha King

Make sure your resume looks great. Keep your GPA off of it. Get yourself in the doors of actuarial employers. When question of GPA comes up give a somber self-check story of what happened and why it won't deter you in the future. You should be able to find a job.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:43 PM
SOA

Bottom line: keep passing exams and put together a strong story about your GPA. Was the theoretical part of math hard for you?
Old 08-13-2014, 10:43 PM
SOA

Studying for GI Intro to Ratemaking
Favorite beer: Game Day

Yea, drop the GPA. Focus on programming skills.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:11 PM

36k is depressing. Why even wake up for that?
Old 08-13-2014, 11:21 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars19 View Post
Bottom line: keep passing exams and put together a strong story about your GPA. Was the theoretical part of math hard for you?
No. I passed the first two acturial exams after college without much of a struggle so math is no problem for me. I just had horrible professors, and I really didn't like college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ke$ha View Post
36k is depressing. Why even wake up for that?
The economy stinks right now in New York City for college grads. I know other applied math people, who had way better grades than I ever had, that are stuck in bank teller jobs right now. I just took whatever I can get, but I still keep looking. Of course my long term goal is to be an actuary, but I won't start until I at least get a third exam, and I'll probably be able to get a fourth by next spring.

I just want to know how exactly one goes proving his/her programming skills to employers. Do I send them my work?? My programs?? My code???
Old 08-13-2014, 11:31 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright View Post
No. I passed the first two acturial exams after college without much of a struggle so math is no problem for me. I just had horrible professors, and I really didn't like college.
I was speaking specifically to the pure math major. I was also a pure math major and I absolutely hated the theory involved. That's why I moved towards actuarial. More applied math. I figured that could maybe be part of your story. You didn't like the theory and proofs and didn't do well yada yada
Old 08-14-2014, 12:01 AM
SOA AAA

If I was in your position I would probably create a 'Projects' section in my resume. List two or three programs that you've built, the goal/purpose of the program, the [advanced] programming concepts used, etc.

You said you worked at a hospital doing paperwork... do you know the difference between a CPT code vs. ICD-9 vs. HCPCS, etc? If so, state that somewhere in your resume/cover letter to any health employers.

I would also not limit myself to the greater NYC area.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:12 AM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by assumptions View Post
If I was in your position I would probably create a 'Projects' section in my resume. List two or three programs that you've built, the goal/purpose of the program, the [advanced] programming concepts used, etc.

You said you worked at a hospital doing paperwork... do you know the difference between a CPT code vs. ICD-9 vs. HCPCS, etc? If so, state that somewhere in your resume/cover letter to any health employers.

I would also not limit myself to the greater NYC area.
Thank you so much for your advice. It makes sense. I will build programs and list my projects on my resume when the time is right.

Also I will not leave the greater NYC. I'll do NYC, New Jersey, upstate New York, and Long Island. I won't move because my entire life is here, all my girlfriends are here (I'm latino and I love my latina women......yes...I ball like that, lol), and I couldn't leave my mother alone here. I might consider Miami though.

Anyone else with advice on my situation??? It would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Tags
exams, gpa, nyc, python