Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment > Resume & Cover Letter Advice Forum
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 07-28-2019, 12:02 PM
SOA

Post Resume Critique and Advice

Hi, I would like to ask for comments and advice for my resume. Since I already have 1 year experience, I removed all references to my college activities (organizations, volunteer, etc), but it feels a bit bare to me. Thank you very much!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Resume.pdf (115.6 KB, 75 views)
Old 07-29-2019, 05:44 PM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

I'd stick with one phone number. Which one do want to be called at?

I'd not use italics, as it's harder to read.

I realize many say you're supposed to do it, but I'm not a huge fan of use present tense for a current job. For one thing, past tense is not wrong - absolutely everything you've ever done in your current job, you've done in the past. But it's clearer in past tense that you've actually done what you're saying rather than it potentially being something you're supposed to do but may not yet have done. More importantly, present tense forces you to write everything as continuing tasks and pretty much prevents you from talking about accomplishments and one-off projects. Accomplishments are way better at selling you than tasks and I'd strongly consider if there are ones you can list instead of the tasks. Those one-off things you do are often the ones that have the most quantifiable results. Remember, the point is to sell you, not to give a representation of your job requirements or your typical day.

The first bullet seems to start wordy. I'd think you can tighten it up. I'm not fond of the last half because "adherence" gives away authority. You've now just doing what someone told you to do. That is probably the case, but it isn't how to sell yourself. Take credit for what you do and don't give credit away.

2nd one is also worded a little awkwardly. It becomes clear as you read it, but, to me, an Excel checker first sounds like something that checks Excel. I think it could be reworded to be clearer as you read it. "Maintains" is a weak word to start with. It seems to me that the point isn't the tool, the point is verifying the model through an independent tool. So I'd just say that. That probably gets rid of "independently-modeled", but that should probably be hyphenated. If you're in the US, modeled has only one "l".

3rd one starts to get weak. Listing lots of stuff doesn't necessarily help, as it tends to make things seem like small tasks. But it's ok.

I'd list month and year for both starting and ending dates in a range, even when they're in the same year.

Your hyphens don't all appear to be consistent.

I'd not put two sentences (fragments) in the same bullet. Handled and assisted are again weak starts. Assisted again gives credit to others. How did you assist? By coding and debugging? Then just say that.

Although you say coding and debugging and that helps, macros always makes me think of recording and playing back. I'd avoid "macros" and refer instead to VBA. Presumably it was in part to speed up the process. If you can quantify the time savings, it would make the bullet better. But don't make it up.

Recognized is ambiguous. "Was awarded" or something like that would be better. I'd only include the "for promising interns" if it makes it sound better than the award itself, which doesn't seem likely to me, or if it is necessary for clarity.

Worked on is weak. It is especially weak when followed by the vague "projects" and "focused on". You're selling. If that means just focusing the bullet on one project, that's what you should do. I'd avoid using "optimizing" in a resume read by people with a strong math background. (How did you know you were at an optimum?)

Provided academic assistance is the same as "Taught", right? Just say that.

I'd abbreviate B.S. I'd include a GPA. With the magna cum laude, I assume it must be ok, but I think the GPA sells better than the magna cum laude. I'd not use the bullet I'd probably just list the month and year of graduation rather than attendance range.

The soft skills aren't worth mentioning imo. And I really don't like the double column of bullets, so that takes care of that. then just call the section Technical Skills.

I'd leave off the "MS"s. I'd just call it VBA. It's not called Excel VBA and VBA is used outside of Excel. I'd just say SQL and not list the "queries and basic functions" part.

As for the college activities, I'd just think about whether they help to sell you or not. If you have accomplishments there, it might be good to list them. If you have member and "attended" bullets, yeah, get rid of them.

I'd not worry about the resume being short. However, your text appears on the small side and you can bump it up. You can indent the text under the section headings a little. That might fill it up a tad without making it appear more dense.

TO DONATE, OR FOR MORE INFO, CLICK HERE
Old 07-29-2019, 05:48 PM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjvj View Post
"Was awarded" or something like that would be better.
or "Earned" is even better

TO DONATE, OR FOR MORE INFO, CLICK HERE
Old 08-16-2019, 08:26 PM
SOA

Thank you so much, vjvj!!

Tags
resume advice, resume building, resume critique, resume entry-level, resume help