Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 11-27-2019, 06:00 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf View Post
Are we talking the same people all the time, or just occasionally? Because tomorrow is one day when many people will be getting more visitors than could conceivably park only in front of their house.
My neighbor parks on the street in front of my house every time he mows his lawn.

No, nothing in this post is a double entendre.
Old 11-27-2019, 06:01 PM

Studying for EA-2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbug View Post
People who don't live with me who park right in front of my house.
my mother is obsessed with not allowing them to do this. at least one of my mother or father must be home at all times to have their car parked there and when the other goes out, they switch spots. I think they paid a dude to park there while my mother was on vacation just to save the spot. it's a little unhealthy.
Spoiler:
Old 11-27-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Are we talking the same people all the time, or just occasionally? Because tomorrow is one day when many people will be getting more visitors than could conceivably park only in front of their house.
I was wondering the same thing. I expect the neighbors' kids to park in front of my house tomorrow. And when the elementary school has its big fundraiser, someone will park in front of my house. But it doesn't happen often, and it's never occurred to me to be bothered.

But if my neighbor parked there ever day I would get annoyed.
Old 12-01-2019, 03:51 PM
Non-Actuary

People who pretend that a logical fallacy is a "sick burn" or whatever. When I know that a conversation won't go anywhere, I just switch into smile-and-nod mode and just let them have the last word.
I was thinking [that the AO is] more like Pocket Pool: You think you're driving your point home hard, until you realize that you're really only busting your own balls
Quote:
Originally Posted by William F. Buckley, Jr.
Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.
Spoiler:
Old 12-01-2019, 06:48 PM
CAS

College: Ball State Alumni
Favorite beer: Root or Birch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper07734 View Post
People who pretend that a logical fallacy is a "sick burn" or whatever. When I know that a conversation won't go anywhere, I just switch into smile-and-nod mode and just let them have the last word.
You should expose their logical phallus
Old 12-10-2019, 04:55 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for nothing. I quit.
Favorite beer: Root

Google maps routing through toll roads when they only save 3 or 5 minutes out of an otherwise hour long trip.

It should be smarter than that...ask the user what they want or something...make it easier to turn on/off the "avoid toll roads" button...tell the user that they'll save n minutes but it will cost them x dollars to do so...get a brain, morans...your artificial intelligence is too artificial and not enough intelligence.
Old 12-10-2019, 04:58 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Scotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1695814 View Post
Google maps routing through toll roads when they only save 3 or 5 minutes out of an otherwise hour long trip.

It should be smarter than that...ask the user what they want or something...make it easier to turn on/off the "avoid toll roads" button...tell the user that they'll save n minutes but it will cost them x dollars to do so...get a brain, morans...your artificial intelligence is too artificial and not enough intelligence.
mine does tell me - 5 minutes faster (No Toll)

it just doesn't offer it as an alternative, I have to see it there
Old 12-10-2019, 05:14 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Beer-Sheva

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1695814 View Post

Waze has a few settings, including avoid toll roads, freeways, and difficult intersections, but your AI comment still applies in many cases, like when they suggest I avoid part of the freeway but don't account for the extra 5-10 minutes it would take to sit through 3-4 light cycles. The final word usually comes with the electronic billboards on the freeway estimating how long it would take to get to a certain exit.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:38 PM
Note Contributor
SOA

Studying for G&H DP-A+FV-A
Favorite beer: Yuengling

Quote:
Occasional. There is plenty of parking on my street. Many people even have driveways, so people who live here don't need to park in front of other peoples' houses. It doesn't bother me when someone is having a party and there are cars all over the place (there is enough space on the block that I still don't have to park too far away.) It's the random weeknights that there's a car parked in my spot AND there are clearly plenty of other places to park that I'm annoyed.

For clarity: We have three cars. Minivan parks in our single car driveway, and there is exactly enough space on the street in front of our house for our 2 compact cars. If someone else parks in front of the house, they of course park right in the middle so that BOTH of our small cars need to park elsewhere.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:44 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for nothing. I quit.
Favorite beer: Root

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
mine does tell me - 5 minutes faster (No Toll)

it just doesn't offer it as an alternative, I have to see it there
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyGoodFCAS View Post
Waze has a few settings, including avoid toll roads, freeways, and difficult intersections, but your AI comment still applies in many cases, like when they suggest I avoid part of the freeway but don't account for the extra 5-10 minutes it would take to sit through 3-4 light cycles. The final word usually comes with the electronic billboards on the freeway estimating how long it would take to get to a certain exit.
This is why it bothers me more than it should...because most of the information that I want is there -- it's just not easy enough to get. gps/google maps/and the like are all significantly better to have than not have...it's just that there are still some gaps, imo, to them reaching their full potential.