Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Diversions > That card g@me that starts with P
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 09-18-2019, 09:12 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by figure 8 View Post
Was this like a 6 person SNG where half of the people double up? Just wondering based on the stack sizes and number of people left when compared to the blinds and antes. Also just curious, because those types of games have different strategies.

Nah, this was a "home game", so essentially a tournament, but played more like a two-table SNG. 13 players to start, top 3 pay out.

As for your hand, that's a tough spot. Calling the jam is tough because at that point you're pretty sure you're just flipping at best (unless you think somehow the villain makes that play with <= 10-10, which seems highly unlikely). I'd probably see a flop and get out of town if A or K flops. Other possibility is maybe a smaller 3-bet, so you feel better about getting away from a jam, or (not sure about exact stack sizes) maybe he 4-bets to a smaller amount which makes more sense to call.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:21 AM

Favorite beer: Ummmmm....Beer

Never go broke.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:51 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassy View Post
Nah, this was a "home game", so essentially a tournament, but played more like a two-table SNG. 13 players to start, top 3 pay out.
It's a "tournament" if it starts at a certain time. It's a "SNG" if it starts as soon as the fixed number of seats are full.
After that, the structure determines strategy.

Not sure what to do in this situation, though. I'd probably shove, put him to a test (or an easy A if he's got a top three hand).

What's with the 40 blind, though? 10 "dollar" chips?

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art
Old 09-18-2019, 02:22 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
It's a "tournament" if it starts at a certain time. It's a "SNG" if it starts as soon as the fixed number of seats are full.
After that, the structure determines strategy.

Not sure what to do in this situation, though. I'd probably shove, put him to a test (or an easy A if he's got a top three hand).

What's with the 40 blind, though? 10 "dollar" chips?
Online tournament on PokerStars in a "home games" league - kinda like the last AOPL I ran, so chips are just numbers. I just meant it played more like a SNG in terms of overall strategy because it was only 13 people and top 3 paid out.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:33 PM
SOA AAA

Hey, I'd like to get in on that.

But, I wouldn't define strategy using "SNG" or "tournament." It's the structure that affects strategy.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art
Old 09-19-2019, 03:55 PM
Non-Actuary

glassy - I'd call. It's definitely an interesting spot though. I can see merits to all 3 plays and I'm guessing you can math out the actual right answer. But calling seems fine at this stack depth and to this 3 bet size to me personally. Folding seems wrong with only having to call 850 into 4kish and shoving is reasonable, but likely on the edge unless he's an actual good player who will be small 3 betting a ton of hands
Old 09-19-2019, 03:56 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by figure 8 View Post
Curious if I misplayed...

MTT, we're in the cash. 81 paid, about 30 left. I have about average chip stack of 150k (about 30BBs). Cutoff raises to 11k (blinds are 2500 / 5000 with ante like 500 or something). CO has large stack, about twice mine.

I'm in the SB with JJ. I end up making a big re-raise (pot size bet), thinking CO is going to be pretty loose with the large stack and position. CO jams, I call. AK suited puts me out.

A win here and I'm one of the tournament leaders though. Was this the right play, or should I have just called pre-flop? Should I have folded to the jam (don't think so, or else I'm always going to get pushed around if I'm folding jacks).

Also note that I won the prior two hands, and both were against this same villain. I doubled up pre-flop with AK vs QQ (from about 50k to 100k chips) and then won a hand at showdown with A4 (added another 50k chips). Not sure if this factors in to the villain's play on the hand above. Also, mentally for me, it felt like I was playing with "house money" at this point, because I had about 5BB not too long ago before tripling up, and now I have a shot at being close to chip leader. So my attitude was definitely nothing to lose / let's just go for it, which might be the right attitude, but maybe it was too reckless.

On the fence about whether a call or a 3-bet was the best play.
you played it fine. Standard variance, but this is 100% the right play and just the wrong result. Good luck next time