Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 09-20-2019, 09:52 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
Playing some kerbal again. Just landed on the Mun (USA! USA!).

It's a calm comforting game, for the most part, when you don't feel like throwing your computer out the window.
I like that game a lot, although a couple times I've gotten to the point where I'm starting to explore other planets and it takes so long to transfer into their orbit that I end up missing the timing or end up losing immersion by just ignoring everything else and fast forwarding to when I need to adjust the ship going to said planet.

Seems like some people use alarm mods, perhaps that's the solution?
Old 09-20-2019, 04:04 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for Done, bois!
College: UConn
Favorite beer: Barq's or Mug, or any local Root Beer with caffeine

So anyone give Apple Arcade a go yet? I'm planning on it, but haven't yet.

All opinions are either my own, or made up for dramatic and/or comedic effect.

Old 09-21-2019, 09:43 AM

Favorite beer: pilseners

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormalDan View Post
I like that game a lot, although a couple times I've gotten to the point where I'm starting to explore other planets and it takes so long to transfer into their orbit that I end up missing the timing or end up losing immersion by just ignoring everything else and fast forwarding to when I need to adjust the ship going to said planet.

Seems like some people use alarm mods, perhaps that's the solution?
Definitely never got that far, or that interested in immersion.

I'm perfectly happy to ignore everything else, only worry about one mission at a time. After-all I doubt real rocket scientists are thinking about more than one mission in the course of an afternoon.

I generally 'lose immersion' when I do something stupid, like speed up to 1000x without realizing that my ship is on a course for the atmosphere... or forgetting some important component like an antenna, a fuel tank, a ladder, a parachute. Which is basically all the time because I'm not what folks like call "detail oriented".

One thing I don't like, and I expect it will get worse when I try to land on Kerbal-Mars or whatever, is planning for a long and difficult journey, and having to guesstimate things-- air-resistance, heat-resistance, delta-v... (god forbid I get into slingshots)

It's frustrating because the whole "FUN" of Kerbal is that you get to guesstimate rocket-science, but it's a lot less fun when it takes an hour to find out you were wrong.

It's much much more satisfying when your guesstimate jerks to the left, flips upside down, and explodes spectacularly 12 seconds after take-off.

Last edited by Sredni Vashtar; 09-21-2019 at 02:56 PM..
Old 09-25-2019, 11:28 AM
Non-Actuary

Free PS+ games this month are The Last of Us Remastered and MLB The Show 2019. People online are pissed that The Show is one of the free games, which is annoying. I understand that some people donít care about sports or baseball in particular, but The Show is the gold standard for sports games. Playing Diamond Dynasty online is pretty much the biggest reason why I have PS+ in the first place. People get so entitled when it comes to the free games. Itís virtually impossible to play through two big games a month anyway if youíve got any real world responsibilities, so if you donít have interest in The Show, just play one of the other free games in your backlog that you probably havenít touched yet. When Batman was announced, I chalked it up as a game that would sit in my library unplayed because Iím not a big movie person, so I moved on. When gamer type people saw that The Show was announced, they raised holy hell all across Reddit. I love video games, but I hate people that call themselves gamers sometimes.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:35 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
Definitely never got that far, or that interested in immersion.

I'm perfectly happy to ignore everything else, only worry about one mission at a time. After-all I doubt real rocket scientists are thinking about more than one mission in the course of an afternoon.

I generally 'lose immersion' when I do something stupid, like speed up to 1000x without realizing that my ship is on a course for the atmosphere... or forgetting some important component like an antenna, a fuel tank, a ladder, a parachute. Which is basically all the time because I'm not what folks like call "detail oriented".

Quote:
One thing I don't like, and I expect it will get worse when I try to land on Kerbal-Mars or whatever, is planning for a long and difficult journey, and having to guesstimate things-- air-resistance, heat-resistance, delta-v... (god forbid I get into slingshots)

It's frustrating because the whole "FUN" of Kerbal is that you get to guesstimate rocket-science, but it's a lot less fun when it takes an hour to find out you were wrong.

It's much much more satisfying when your guesstimate jerks to the left, flips upside down, and explodes spectacularly 12 seconds after take-off.
In fairness the farthest I've ever gotten is some basic satellites, etc set up around Kerbal and the Mun/other Mun and then managed to (crash) land a satellite onto Mars. It wasn't a horrendous landing since it was mildly similar to landing on Kerbal, but I remember it being stuck on its side and unable to move but I was super excited to have something on a legit other planet.

Is there much to explore on other planets? I could see it getting exciting to get up refueling stations in orbit and sending kerbals + cars/planes to other planets, but is there much to find other than simply for the sake of doing it?
Old 09-25-2019, 12:05 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for Done, bois!
College: UConn
Favorite beer: Barq's or Mug, or any local Root Beer with caffeine

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonactuarialactuary View Post
Free PS+ games this month are The Last of Us Remastered and MLB The Show 2019. People online are pissed that The Show is one of the free games, which is annoying. I understand that some people don’t care about sports or baseball in particular, but The Show is the gold standard for sports games. Playing Diamond Dynasty online is pretty much the biggest reason why I have PS+ in the first place. People get so entitled when it comes to the free games. It’s virtually impossible to play through two big games a month anyway if you’ve got any real world responsibilities, so if you don’t have interest in The Show, just play one of the other free games in your backlog that you probably haven’t touched yet. When Batman was announced, I chalked it up as a game that would sit in my library unplayed because I’m not a big movie person, so I moved on. When gamer type people saw that The Show was announced, they raised holy hell all across Reddit. I love video games, but I hate people that call themselves gamers sometimes.
I agree that toxicity towards devs, companies, etc. is unwarranted. However, I have to quibble with your wording a bit. I don't play multiplayer games much, if at all, on PSN. So, I buy PS+ for the games, not the online multiplayer functionality. The games aren't free, they're what I'm paying for. Doesn't give me the right to be a jerk, etc. but I do have a right to be disappointed in them.

That aside, one of the things I like is that PS+ gets me to try games I wouldn't otherwise try.

All opinions are either my own, or made up for dramatic and/or comedic effect.

Old 09-25-2019, 12:11 PM
CAS

Until tomorrow, the free games in the Epic Store are the 3 Batman Arkham games(Asylum, City, Knight) and the 3 Lego Batman games.
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaz wit Attitude View Post
Force of habit, 2pac's been typing "88" a LOT since Trump got elected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
You ought to see the bush. It's impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu
10:53 pm: some ppl dont take advices well
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo fan
9:45 pm: ao fan would be hot covered in mayo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikelfritz
if you'd like I can come visit and dress up like a girl and get in some fights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner3339 View Post
i think everyone needs to do this type of thing to get a dose of reality and straighten people up. it's kinda like going to the mountains and becoming a monk except it's with hundreds of potatoes and a lot of stoners with tattoos in a kitchen
Old 09-25-2019, 01:28 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arroway View Post
I agree that toxicity towards devs, companies, etc. is unwarranted. However, I have to quibble with your wording a bit. I don't play multiplayer games much, if at all, on PSN. So, I buy PS+ for the games, not the online multiplayer functionality. The games aren't free, they're what I'm paying for. Doesn't give me the right to be a jerk, etc. but I do have a right to be disappointed in them.

That aside, one of the things I like is that PS+ gets me to try games I wouldn't otherwise try.
People have a right to be disappointed if theyíre hoping for a certain type of game, but the attitude I see online is so gross. I got PS+ for $40/year. If a new game is typically $60, the two PS+ games/month gives me 36 games for the price of one. The cost works out to $1.67 per game, roughly the cost of a soda out of a vending machine. The online outrage at The Show is equivalent to someone taking a hammer to the vending machine because they got a Sprite when they wanted a Coke. The backlash is just so out of proportion to the "crime" of giving away a good game in a genre theyíre uninterested in.

Single player games with boring gameplay and a strong story get universal praise (e.g., Detroit, Heavy Rain, Edith Finch, etc.), but multiplayer games with fun gameplay and no story get nothing but complaints (The Show, Pro Evolution Soccer, the two racing games a few months ago, etc.). Itís annoying because I like the second type of game a lot more than the first, but all the complaints make it less likely weíll get those types of games in the future. I get bored with the fantasy RPGs, the walking simulators, the games so hard I canít beat the first level, etc., but I donít start amassing an army of Twitter people to boycott Sony. I just move on to the next thing instead. People donít do that with sports games though: all you see is nonstop complaints.
Old 09-25-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonactuarialactuary View Post
People have a right to be disappointed if theyíre hoping for a certain type of game, but the attitude I see online is so gross. I got PS+ for $40/year. If a new game is typically $60, the two PS+ games/month gives me 36 games for the price of one. The cost works out to $1.67 per game, roughly the cost of a soda out of a vending machine. The online outrage at The Show is equivalent to someone taking a hammer to the vending machine because they got a Sprite when they wanted a Coke. The backlash is just so out of proportion to the "crime" of giving away a good game in a genre theyíre uninterested in.

Single player games with boring gameplay and a strong story get universal praise (e.g., Detroit, Heavy Rain, Edith Finch, etc.), but multiplayer games with fun gameplay and no story get nothing but complaints (The Show, Pro Evolution Soccer, the two racing games a few months ago, etc.). Itís annoying because I like the second type of game a lot more than the first, but all the complaints make it less likely weíll get those types of games in the future. I get bored with the fantasy RPGs, the walking simulators, the games so hard I canít beat the first level, etc., but I donít start amassing an army of Twitter people to boycott Sony. I just move on to the next thing instead. People donít do that with sports games though: all you see is nonstop complaints.
The bold statement could literally be applied to everything in the world.
Old 09-25-2019, 02:02 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for FSA

I think people just forget what the PS+ free games really are. Either a set-up to grab new users for games that are about to release sequels (looking at you Last of us), games trying to pad their sales/user numbers or games trying to keep their multiplayer numbers up so the player base doesn't entirely die.

I always took the whole free games as a bonus to having to pay for multiplayer (thank you microsoft for setting that trend) expecting the worst of the worst as far as games I'd be interested in and sometimes i'd be surprised by a decent game.

P.S. I was pretty disappointed when they pulled PES from the games offering, I've been meaning to give it a try but don't want to throw $60 at something I might not like.

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, real analysis = real men, switch, vita, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one