Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-20-2019, 11:51 AM
Mitsu96 Mitsu96 is offline
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Studying for IFM
Posts: 79
Default Entry Level Job Search + Summarize Internship

Hello everyone,

I am currently looking for an entry - level actuarial job in The States. I am graduating in December and would require visa sponsorship at some point. Not really sure how to go about my search for jobs.

I was wondering if I should actually apply online or reach out and connect with people working in those companies. It probably sounds very selfish on my part. But, with not much time in my hands and the need for sponsorship, I would like to maximize my chances.

Last year, by connecting with people, I did learn a lot about the actuarial field, the exam process, how the industry works... I did gain a lot of valuable insights. I ultimately got an internship through my school's career services. But, like I said, I enjoyed talking to them and got a lot out of the conversation. I was wondering if I should continue doing that to get a full - time job too. Or should I just apply online and wait for their response.

Going off of that, I am also updating my resume to include my internship experience. Again, not entirely sure how I condense my entire summer's work in an appealing manner. I would really appreciate if someone could look over my summary of the internship and suggest on how to improve it.

Thank you so much for all of your consideration and help!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-20-2019, 08:03 PM
Pamela Wells Pamela Wells is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 69
Default

For job openings... Start here:
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...splay.php?f=36

For resume review & advice... Start here:
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...play.php?f=310

Do you have any exams passed, or just the internship? In what practice area was your internship?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-20-2019, 09:12 PM
Dr T Non-Fan Dr T Non-Fan is online now
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Just outside of Nowhere
Posts: 97,127
Default

My only suggestion is not to put too much detail on your résumé. You want the interviewer to ask questions about stuff on your résumé, and you want to answer those questions in such a way as to convince them to offer you the job. Otherwise they will ask questions that you're not prepared for.
__________________
"Facebook is a toilet." -- LWTwJO

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-21-2019, 11:59 AM
vjvj's Avatar
vjvj vjvj is offline
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: IL
Studying for MFE
Posts: 7,725
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsu96 View Post
Last year, by connecting with people, I did learn a lot about the actuarial field, the exam process, how the industry works... I did gain a lot of valuable insights.
These people might be a really good place to start. Reconnect. Thank them. Bring them up to date with how you've progressed with their help. Ask for suggestions. You already know they're helpful.
__________________
.
PLEASE SUPPORT CHILDREN'S CANCER RESEARCH

TO DONATE, OR FOR MORE INFO, CLICK HERE
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-25-2019, 12:31 PM
Mitsu96 Mitsu96 is offline
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Studying for IFM
Posts: 79
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
My only suggestion is not to put too much detail on your résumé. You want the interviewer to ask questions about stuff on your résumé, and you want to answer those questions in such a way as to convince them to offer you the job. Otherwise they will ask questions that you're not prepared for.
That's some good advice! Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-25-2019, 12:31 PM
Mitsu96 Mitsu96 is offline
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Studying for IFM
Posts: 79
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjvj View Post
These people might be a really good place to start. Reconnect. Thank them. Bring them up to date with how you've progressed with their help. Ask for suggestions. You already know they're helpful.
Yes, this would be very helpful! Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-02-2019, 11:10 AM
Westley's Avatar
Westley Westley is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 29,412
Default

Good advice already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsu96 View Post
I am graduating in December and would require visa sponsorship at some point.
I'll just say that IME this board isn't a great place for getting info on this part, but you can work for a year or two with a student visa or something, right? Not sure, but def need to figure this part out and I don't think people here know.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsu96 View Post
I was wondering if I should actually apply online or reach out and connect with people working in those companies.
Certainly both of these. And not sure what you mean by "those companies" but you should not limit yourself to only the companies the have online postings or anything.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsu96 View Post
Or should I just apply online and wait for their response.
Def not this.

Go back to those people and also don't be afraid to ask them if they know somebody that you can connect to.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsu96 View Post
Going off of that, I am also updating my resume to include my internship experience. Again, not entirely sure how I condense my entire summer's work in an appealing manner. I would really appreciate if someone could look over my summary of the internship and suggest on how to improve it.
Is this posted someplace or are you offering to send it directly? There's a section for resume reviews, you can probably look there and get some info - read what others have done first and then post yours if you want, but feel free to PM to me or whatever too
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-03-2019, 04:33 PM
acesCracked acesCracked is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 45
Default

you have to find companies that are willing to sponsor as most dont do that anymore... this would involve reaching out to upperclassmen at your school or networking at career fairs.

If you are really desperate, you can PM as I kept track of several.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-04-2019, 04:38 PM
Pamela Wells Pamela Wells is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 69
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
I'll just say that IME this board isn't a great place for getting info on this part, but you can work for a year or two with a student visa or something, right? Not sure, but def need to figure this part out and I don't think people here know.
That's a good point. OPT (Occupational Practice Training) provides about a year (more in some cases, but I'm not up to speed on this any more) of in-country work as part of the educational visa. That may be enough to get your foot in the door. Beyond that, you'll be looking at H1-B visas, which I believe grant two three-year periods. In total, that's about 7 years of work in the US.

Sponsoring visas doesn't come without cost for the employer. I recommend being very clear about what you're looking for in terms of sponsorship.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-05-2019, 10:42 AM
Mitsu96 Mitsu96 is offline
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Studying for IFM
Posts: 79
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamela Wells View Post
That's a good point. OPT (Occupational Practice Training) provides about a year (more in some cases, but I'm not up to speed on this any more) of in-country work as part of the educational visa. That may be enough to get your foot in the door. Beyond that, you'll be looking at H1-B visas, which I believe grant two three-year periods. In total, that's about 7 years of work in the US.

Sponsoring visas doesn't come without cost for the employer. I recommend being very clear about what you're looking for in terms of sponsorship.
Yup! That is pretty much accurate. Since actuarial science is a STEM major, the OPT gets extended by 2 years. So, in total, you get about 3 years of OPT. Thank you so much for your informative answer!

Last edited by Mitsu96; 09-06-2019 at 12:13 AM..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
entry level advice, international students, job search, networking, predictive analytics, resume entry-level

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.26719 seconds with 9 queries