Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam PA: Predictive Analytics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 09-06-2019, 03:17 PM
SOA AAA

College: WPI - Alumni
Lightbulb

I passed the June sitting and I wanted to share some notes about my experience that might be useful.

1) The points assigned to each task are not proportional to the amount of time you will spend on them. The first four tasks took me about 3 hours to complete, leaving just over 2 hours for everything else. I initially skipped task 10 to write the executive summary instead, but ended up with plenty of time to go back to it afterwards.

2) They're not testing your ability to code. Probably 90% of the code that you need is already provided by your "assistant." Mostly you just tweak it to make it work. This is overwhelmingly an analysis exam and most of your time will be spent processing results.

3) With prior experience in predictive analytics, I was able to pass by studying the modules for about 6 weeks. I'd say if you've taken a graduate level course in predictive modeling, you will likely have a similar experience. The modules were more of a refresher than anything. I didn't feel I needed any of the recommended textbooks, but I did supplement with online resources where needed (Wikipedia).

4) The sample solution they provided was super helpful - much more than the modules were. It really lays out the SOA's expectations and is fairly easy to replicate. I think my most valuable time spent studying were the last couple days where I just went through the sample task by task and compared my answers to the ones given.

Hope this can be of some help to those getting started for December. Rest assured that you still have plenty of time, even if you've just begun!!
Old 09-06-2019, 06:18 PM
SOA

Default Thanks

Thanks for the advice.
Old 09-07-2019, 03:34 PM
Non-Actuary

We have created a study manual focused on the R coding needed for the exam.

We created a comprehensive document/sample project that shows one method for coding each testable topic on the exam and we did not include anything that we feel would not be necessary to know. The structure of our manual was a result of feedback we received from students who sat for previous sittings of the exam. The main comments being that the modules have a bunch of coding that wasn’t necessary for the exam, and that students found it tedious to search through all the different modules/sample projects to find a specific topic when studying. We feel that the structure of our study manual solves these problems.

The study manual can be purchased from the actuarial bookstore:

https://www.actuarialbookstore.com/order_selection.aspx
Old 09-11-2019, 04:43 AM
SOA

Just done with this exam. Sharing my own study notes on the ISLR book for anyone who might find it helpful.

https://jackliu234.com/2019/04/islr/

Cheers
Old 09-11-2019, 08:18 AM
SOA

Default ASM Delayed

Hi guys,

I pre-ordered the ASM manual last month but I got an email saying the ASM manual has been delayed. So, the actuarial bookstore is letting those of us who pre-ordered the ASM manual to switch to the Actex manual. They have no idea when they will be releasing the ASM manual. In fact, itís not even on the website anymore for purchase.

What do you guys think? Is it best to just switch Actex? I am more inclined to switch but just wanted to see what everyone else though about that.

Thanks!
Old 09-11-2019, 11:11 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by actuary28 View Post
What do you guys think? Is it best to just switch Actex? I am more inclined to switch but just wanted to see what everyone else though about that.
I got the same email and am wondering the same thing. Does anyone have experience with the Actex study manual? What impact did it have on achieving a passing grade?
Old 09-11-2019, 11:33 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bourgfish View Post
I got the same email and am wondering the same thing. Does anyone have experience with the Actex study manual? What impact did it have on achieving a passing grade?
I bought the ACTEX manual. I used ACTEX to pass first couple exams several years ago but this exam has a different author wrote the manual. I cannot judge if the book is sufficient to pass the PA exam at current stage. I just need 10-15% more points boost to pass the June sitting.

However it looked the author has access to PA modules too, so if the manual has several hundred pages of contents in the end, it should be a good source to boost the grade. So far it's easier to read than PA modules.

The only other source available now is a project based manual that I would not call it a manual, but it's the only study source available earlier. It cost around a buck for each page of content. If you feel you learned everything pretty well and just need extra practice to earn higher grade than just pass, then that manual maybe a good addition to you.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:11 AM
SOA

College: University of Iowa

To give you some idea of what the ACTEX PA manual is like, please take a look at some sample pages. Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions about the manual.

As the author of the PA manual, I have of course purchased the PA modules myself and know exactly what is covered there. In the second component of the manual, I will make use of a series of case studies different from those in the PA modules to illustrate predictive analytic concepts more effectively and efficiently. Mention will be made of the depth of the analysis expected by the SOA. The third component of the manual will first discuss tips based on sample and past PA projects, then present original sample project(s) for final practice. In total, the manual is expected to be about 300-350 pages long.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:14 AM
SOA

I ended up switching and started reading it and so far I like it. It explains everything - it does not assume you have taken exam stam which I haven't (thank god I won't have to).

I was also told that the ASM manual might not even make in time for the December 2019 exam so definitely switch now and don't lose time.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:07 AM
SOA

Studying for the hell of it...
College: AASU
Favorite beer: This one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambroselo View Post
To give you some idea of what the ACTEX PA manual is like, please take a look at some sample pages. Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions about the manual.

As the author of the PA manual, I have of course purchased the PA modules myself and know exactly what is covered there. In the second component of the manual, I will make use of a series of case studies different from those in the PA modules to illustrate predictive analytic concepts more effectively and efficiently. Mention will be made of the depth of the analysis expected by the SOA. The third component of the manual will first discuss tips based on sample and past PA projects, then present original sample project(s) for final practice. In total, the manual is expected to be about 300-350 pages long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by windows7forever View Post
The only other source available now is a project based manual that I would not call it a manual, but it's the only study source available earlier. It cost around a buck for each page of content. If you feel you learned everything pretty well and just need extra practice to earn higher grade than just pass, then that manual maybe a good addition to you.
At an expected 300-350 pages, the ACTEX manual is around a buck a page as well.