Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > Health and Fitness Forum
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 10-28-2018, 07:22 PM
SOA

Default Peloton: worth it, or big waste of money?

I was talking with friends at church about my desire to find a cardio activity I like for the winter. One of them suggested doing spin classes at the gym. I checked the Y, where we have a family membership, and the spin classes are either insanely early (6 a.m.) or interfere with my work schedule.

Somebody else mentioned Peloton. I don't watch a lot of TV, so I hadn't seen the commercials for these things. I've been reading articles about them, and they sound pretty darn cool. But pretty crazy expensive.

I don't like going to the gym and doing cardio. It just feels pointless. Like running. I can't stand running. The whole time, I'm thinking, "Why am I doing this?"

I've enjoyed doing workout videos in the past, like P90X and Insanity, but I'm kind of wearing out on doing the same thing all the time. And some of those are getting rough on my body as I get older.

So now I'm wondering about the Peloton. They have 7,000 on-demand videos, plus daily live classes. And they've recorded video of actual outdoor rides, which you can sort of simulate. So tons of variety ... though all of it done while seated on a bike.

Am I crazy to even consider one of these things?
Old 10-29-2018, 10:06 AM
SOA

45 views so far, and no responses...
Old 10-29-2018, 10:16 AM
Non-Actuary

Does anybody actually have one?

I agree that they seem cool, and the interaction/simulated rides would be interesting. But I would never pay that much for it.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:36 AM
CAS AAA

Not crazy, but it can be pricey depending on your comparison point. You can do the financing for around $100 a month, which is much cheaper than in person classes for a lot of spin style workouts that are popular now. That gets you the bike and subscription fee put together. Ultimately, it's what will work for you to keep you motivated and consistent. There is a strong community (some would say obsessive like many fitness programs) and the company has very good customer support.

They've recently expanded their offerings outside the bike to treadmill classes (you could get their crazy expensive treadmill!) and general fitness classes that are sort of like P90X lite.

Recommendation: Download the app and try a Digital Only subscription ($20 a month I think) for a month. You can't do live classes via Digital only, but you get access to all the prerecorded stuff, which is a LOT. Use a spin bike/treadmill at the gym or do the fitness stuff at home.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:40 AM
CAS AAA

I'll add a couple other things. 1) You get a lot of stat tracking via the Peloton bike, so if you like to see your performance in numbers, that's a positive. 2) During live rides, you get to see how you stack up to everyone else taking the class, so if you're competitive, that can help motivate.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:47 AM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

I've found it way harder to ride indoors than outdoors, it may be a mental thing. On the other hand, when you're indoors you don't have to worry about rain or anything like that. Ymmv.

If you already have a bike I do think it's a waste of money and space since you can just use a trainer instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:47 AM
SOA

Depends. What motivates you?

You can get an indoor trainer that connects to the back wheel of the bike you already have for much less. Even a nice one like a Kinetic by Kurt Road Machine or Rock 'n' Roll won't cost you nearly what Peloton will. Then it's just a matter of finding workouts and doing them.

But do you think you'll actually do is? Indoor trainers are boring, even with Netflix to pass the time. I can see wanting the structure of just hitting 'play' on a video and being able to compare with structured workouts. Will that make you more like to do it? If so, then maybe Peloton is worth it to you. I'd find a way to test one out a couple times before I threw that amount of money at it though.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:37 AM
SOA

Studying for the hell of it...
College: AASU
Favorite beer: This one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr F View Post
Depends. What motivates you?

You can get an indoor trainer that connects to the back wheel of the bike you already have for much less. Even a nice one like a Kinetic by Kurt Road Machine or Rock 'n' Roll won't cost you nearly what Peloton will. Then it's just a matter of finding workouts and doing them.

But do you think you'll actually do is? Indoor trainers are boring, even with Netflix to pass the time. I can see wanting the structure of just hitting 'play' on a video and being able to compare with structured workouts. Will that make you more like to do it? If so, then maybe Peloton is worth it to you. I'd find a way to test one out a couple times before I threw that amount of money at it though.

A $100 trainer setup and a VR headset would be cheaper. IIRC there is a company that has a bunch of trail/road videos that have a number in the top corner corresponding to the intensity settings so you can simulate rides.
Old 10-29-2018, 02:08 PM
SOA

Thanks for the suggestions to try the digital subscription while riding a bike at the gym. That would give me a sense whether it would be sufficient motivation to do it and stick with it.

I can't stand sitting on a bike in the gym and riding while listening to music. I think putting a trainer on my own bike would be exactly the same experience.

I had thought about getting an elliptical, but I suspect I'd struggle with the same degree of boredom.

The Peloton appeals to me because you have the live classes, and they say those add a very different element when the trainer is calling out individuals who are logged in, along with people live in the studio with them. You never know when they might call your name! Maybe that's goofy, but it's pretty cool to me. And I could see it being a motivation.

I'm not sure if the recorded trail rides would work for me, but I like the idea of variety.
Old 10-29-2018, 02:41 PM

We have one. My wife wanted it. She enjoys it. Seems costly to me, and I prefer our erg, which has no monthly cost, but if it makes her happy...