Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 11-10-2015, 05:58 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: The kind that isn't beer. You know that kind...
Unhappy Career Advice

First off - and I know this will attract the opposite effect - but please don't post the "Life After Actuary" thread again.

I was working at an insurance company for 5 years. I passed 7 exams. I left work due to a debilitating physical condition. 5 years have passed and I am now able to work again, no problem, with the exception of being rusty.

I know I wasn't a consultant, but working at an insurance company was still too stressful for me. It will be bad enough explaining my job gap (or anyone caring), but I don't even know what I want to do anymore.

I posted my resume on Monster and all I got was 6 calls in two days from 5 different people at 3 different companies about the SAME job opening in Nashville for someone with 7-8 years experience. I live in New York and was unwilling to relocate but this is still all I got. I would use the word "hounded." So I took it down.

I don't know what jobs I could do so I can't elaborate on what I'd LIKE to do. Many of the job descriptions I've searched require 3-5 years in a specific field and the only one I meet that criteria with is being an actuary.

Part of it is that, if I knew WHERE to search, I wouldn't know WHAT to search. Do I search "math?" "Actuary" brings back just that. "Analyst" maybe?

I heard that working in a government job, while significantly less money, is also less stressful. Is this true? If so, where do I search?

I've only had one full-time job in my life so I'm not really experienced in job searching. I'd appreciate any help anyone can provide.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:05 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Have you kept in touch with your old coworkers? I bet many of them are not at your former employer and might help you get an "in" at another company. Or, what about people you met at SOA events?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:15 PM
SOA

Use indeed not monster, also talk to a recruiter, if you're not Asa yet search "actuarial"
Old 11-10-2015, 06:32 PM
Non-Actuary

Do you have any $$$ saved up? Have you ever thought about going back to school for a computer science degree? It is a very hot field and hiring is expected to continue to rise. If you could pass actuarial exams like you did, you could definitely do it.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:33 PM

I agree: Indeed > Monster

I would also recommend visiting the careers pages of large companies and insurance firms and searching for openings there.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:37 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Favorite beer: FBS/KBS/CBS

I think a recruiter is the way to go. You're experienced and need a way to communicate your situation to an employer in a way that a simple resume can't accomplish. Monster is about as fruitful as looking through your local newspaper's 'help wanted' section.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:49 PM
CAS

government jobs- usajobs.gov although there are really specific requirements for people with experience so it may be difficult to qualify for something non-actuarial. state governments might post elsewhere.

i got from your post that you don't want to be an actuary, is that right? honestly, i think most of your other options would be more stressful, not less. plus you'd have to learn a bunch more stuff which might be stressful in itself. have you considered that working as an actuary at a different company/role might be less stressful? having had only one job, you don't have much to go on that says being an actuary is without a doubt too stressful for you.

you could probably also look for generic financial/data analyst jobs. this job title could mean about 1000 different things, some more stressful than others, but worth looking into. ust search "analyst" (as others mentioned, use indeed), and you'll get a billion results in NY but just browse through and read descriptions and see what sounds interesting/what you seem qualified for.

there are some jobs out there at insurance companies that do sort of similar work to actuarial analysts but don't require exams. or different but less stressful work. you can try going to insurance companies' websites and going to the careers page and see if anything sounds interesting to you that isn't actuarial. relatively speaking, i don't think insurance companies are terribly stressful places to work so may be a good place to start, plus you have experience in insurance. i do think there are probably roles at my company that are less stressful than the actuarial roles, but they're probably also a bit more boring/require less thinking/pay less. we've got a lot of data/financial reporting folks across different divisions of the company who do various things, then some non-actuaries in the regulatory department who work closely with actuaries on state filings and data calls. maybe consider that sort of stuff?

first recommendation is an actuarial role though.

hardest part will be getting callbacks given length of time out of work, i think.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:02 PM
SOA

what exactly stresses you out about insurance companies?
Old 11-10-2015, 08:19 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for beer
Favorite beer: Fresh Squeezed IPA

What kind of things did you *like* about math in general?

IMO, sabermetrics sounds fun.

AO Golfers Unite! Here and here.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:21 PM
SOA

Tutor people one on one.

Tags
careers, job search, unemployed