Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > Health and Fitness Forum
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 01-25-2016, 10:07 PM
SOA

Studying for a hobby.
Favorite beer: Guinness

So it's been a while. Had the baby in August and was going to the gym frequently two weeks after that. Then in October I started having miserable stomach pain and found out I had gallstones. Had to have my gallbladder out, which set me back. Started back at the gym again last week. Fortunately, the resolution-ers have already cleared out.

Haven't gotten back into lifting yet, but I'm planning on it. Trying to ease into a gym routine first. I find it very hard to motivate myself to go to the gym when it's not something I'm used to doing AND I'm pretty sore from my previous workout.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:18 AM

How often are you going to the gym? If you're easing back into it, you should do just that... ease into it. If you're too sore from your last workout you went too hard.

Give your body a week or two to adjust to the load and then start upping intensity/volume
Old 01-26-2016, 09:20 AM
SOA

Studying for a hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocket View Post
How often are you going to the gym? If you're easing back into it, you should do just that... ease into it. If you're too sore from your last workout you went too hard.

Give your body a week or two to adjust to the load and then start upping intensity/volume
4 days a week.

And I'm not sore. I just don't want to start a new routine that will make me sore while I'm still adjusting to the schedule. Lifting makes me pretty sore for about a week no matter how much stretching I do afterwards.

Plus I'm a girl, so it's pretty typical for us to over-cardio anyway.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:02 AM
SOA

Studying for a hobby.

Okay THIS time I mean it.

I've been focusing on my diet for a little while and am back at the gym with a routine.

Hopefully no pregnancies or surgeries to throw a wrench into things this time. I really need to get stronger. I'm not focusing on cardio. I walk a ton regularly, and since I'm trying to lose weight AND build strength, and since I have such limited time at the gym to begin with, I'm just focusing most of my efforts on strength training.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:07 AM
SOA

Studying for a hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdAlert View Post
9/30/2014:

Doing the stronglifts app/workout that was recommended to me. I'm just trying to steadily increase, not trying to get to a certain point by a certain time. Also add in some other stuff occasionally if I'm not feeling tired enough by the end of the workout

Squats 85 lbs 5x5 (hard)
Overhead press 40 lbs 5x5 (stayed about the same level of difficulty all 5 sets, need to increase that)
Deadlift 75 lbs 1x5 (still not 100% sure I'm doing these right, need to schedule a lifting training session one of these days)
Calf raises 125 lbs 5x5 (not hard)
Has Stronglifts changed in the last few years?

Pulled up the app last week to get back into it, and exercise B only has Squats, OH, and deadlift, no calf raises.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:08 AM
SOA

Studying for a hobby.

Or maybe I added in calf raises for my own amusement for some reason?

My calves don't need extra work. They're the least of my concerns. It's just...basically everything else.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:05 AM
SOA

Calf raises? No I don't think that was ever a thing.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:06 AM
SOA

Studying for a hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdsafdsa View Post
Calf raises? No I don't think that was ever a thing.
I wouldn't have just added them in for the fun of it. Someone must have told me that was a good idea at some point.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:10 AM
SOA

Studying for GH Spec

I don't think calf raises are in 5x5, I'm getting back into it too atm and I'm doing a modified version that adds some accessory lifts. Definitely helps with the arms since 5x5 doesn't hit them as much
Old 04-26-2019, 11:30 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdAlert View Post
I wouldn't have just added them in for the fun of it. Someone must have told me that was a good idea at some point.
Someone was wrong....

The whole point of stronglifts is to just focus on heavy weight full body exercises, calf raises, are not that.