Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 11-03-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEdwards View Post
To clarify further: it's the exam support that I'm most interested in - mainly to help me make the most of the time I have and am able to spend on exam prep. May I ask for some additional steer on which (types) of companies might provide that to those in my position?
Some companies don't hire people with visa issues, then they just don't and there's nothing to discuss. If they do, then they usually treat these people the same as non-visa (by law they pretty much have to, which doesn't always match with actual practice).

So, if a company is willing to hire you given visa status, then they're going to treat you like anybody else - you've got 3 exams, most are going to offer exam support. In short, I think you need to find companies that will hire people on visas, and then interview and be clear in the interview process that you have had reasonable exam success without support, and are now looking to get exam support to accelerate your advancement. I don't know how to identify companies that will sponsor visas or whatever specifically you need, but probably others can comment on that...

Can you get your current company to switch you over (to en employee, to a member of the formal program, or to a exam-supported non-member)? That's trickier because they probably like the status quo and it's hard to push them off of that without a reason, but worth a convo - I'd just tell them that you like the team and company blahblahblah and have been working through exams on your own, ask if there's potential to get into a role with exam support. If they say no, then move on; if they say yes, tell them how interested you are and see where it goes.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:42 AM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Have you thought about forging your citizenship so companies can stop treating you like crap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:00 PM
SOA

Exactly that - but I haven't approached my manager on the idea actually so might try that. I was reluctant to do so given my visa situ, but think I've gotten to a good spot with the team.

Thanks for the advice
Old 11-03-2017, 12:02 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
Some companies don't hire people with visa issues, then they just don't and there's nothing to discuss. If they do, then they usually treat these people the same as non-visa (by law they pretty much have to, which doesn't always match with actual practice).

So, if a company is willing to hire you given visa status, then they're going to treat you like anybody else - you've got 3 exams, most are going to offer exam support. In short, I think you need to find companies that will hire people on visas, and then interview and be clear in the interview process that you have had reasonable exam success without support, and are now looking to get exam support to accelerate your advancement. I don't know how to identify companies that will sponsor visas or whatever specifically you need, but probably others can comment on that...

Can you get your current company to switch you over (to en employee, to a member of the formal program, or to a exam-supported non-member)? That's trickier because they probably like the status quo and it's hard to push them off of that without a reason, but worth a convo - I'd just tell them that you like the team and company blahblahblah and have been working through exams on your own, ask if there's potential to get into a role with exam support. If they say no, then move on; if they say yes, tell them how interested you are and see where it goes.
Thanks Westley - a couple of lines of enquiry there that I'll look into

Regards

JE

Tags
careers, consulting, leadership