Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:09 AM

Favorite beer: the closest one

Quote:
Originally Posted by actuary21c View Post
GargoyleWaiting (until recently, WargoyleGaiting - what's with the changing of handle by the way? I thought the original was GW anyway?)
I had my freedom of speech restricted by trying to change the email address associated to my account... It's fixed now.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:10 AM

Studying for double bass & jazz piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by GargoyleWaiting View Post
I had my freedom of speech restricted by trying to change the email address associated to my account... It's fixed now.
thanks - understood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
a21c is one of the better posters on the AO. That's not saying he's good.

UK software developer, actuary, musician, atheist. All posts in a personal capacity (unless explicitly stated otherwise in the post).
Old 10-07-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
How do you think those victims and their families feel about YOU - trivializing their plight to make a point about how terribly mistreated you have been by some obscure actuarial organization?
I don't know of course, except that some of the families know that I have spent quite a bit of time trying to help identify some of the senior facilitators involved - people (within the police and council) who turned a blind eye to the Rotherham Abuse. So I'm not trivialising it - I was genuinely shocked at the scale of the abuse that had gone on, and felt I had to help do something about it. Part of that involves some amateur detective work to identify facilitators, part involves online discussions to understand and combat the blindeye syndrome and the ideology/cultural mindset that makes some of the abusers think that what they are doing is acceptable. But exposing dangerous ideology is made almost impossible if you are prevented from criticising religions. So I think/hope most victims and their families would not see this as trivialisation, but instead a necessary step towards removing the taboos/silence that they suffered under.

Quote:

UK software developer, actuary, musician, atheist. All posts in a personal capacity (unless explicitly stated otherwise in the post).

Last edited by actuary21c; 10-07-2014 at 10:35 AM.. Reason: corrected typo: added a missing "not"
Old 10-07-2014, 10:57 AM
CAS AAA

Mods, please move this thread to political. Thanks!
Old 10-07-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
No - please leave it where it is. I've tried to keep the political part to a minimum, but have naturally responded where people commented on/asked questions relating to the last part of my letter.

The actuarial part is important: I think it is common ground in the discussion that no actuary should have his or her personal freedom of speech restricted by their professional body.

PS I've already agreed to start a new thread in political where specific aspects relating to the impact (or otherwise) of religion on child abuse can be discussed.
PPS New thread in political now created with regard to Rotherham Abuse (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...17#post7703917). Am happy to get involved in other threads discussing the impact (or otherwise) of religion in other cases, e.g. cases involving Catholic priests, if others start them.

Quote:

Last edited by actuary21c; 10-07-2014 at 11:37 AM.. Reason: Added the PS. Added the PPS
Old 10-07-2014, 12:34 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Chess Tactics
College: Kentucky
Favorite beer: Prefer Scotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
Likewise, if I had written a letter explaining why I don't think that the government should pay ransom for political prisoners because it just encourages the bad guys to keep on kidnapping, I wouldn't expect any actuarial publication in the world to publish it.
Seems like this could be in scope. When a government pays ransom, it harms the ransom insurance industry.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:55 AM
SOA

Studying for nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by actuary21c View Post
So you approve of a post in which the reaction to a sentence about 1400 children being raped and tortured in the most vile way is to show a soap emoticon??

Again: wow.
but those poor Muslims were simply a victim of Western culture

Quote:
Originally Posted by WargoyleGaiting View Post
Well, yeah, we have as much right to say stuff as everyone else. Including the majority of Muslims and Pakistanis who also condemn child abuse.
You've made the statement, so prove it. I've mainly seen non-Muslims giving excuses while actual Muslims do not saying anything to criticize Muslim activity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
Mods, please ban Malcolm. Thanks!

I doubt the Mods care about a random post in the middle of a thread.

Tags
freedomofspeech, ifoa, institute