Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 12-04-2018, 04:15 PM
CAS

I don't think the knowledge of the job is the most valuable trait a good recruiter has, but I have noticed that recruiters with actuarial experience (which includes one internal recruiter I've worked with) do have a leg up in that part of the job.
Old 12-04-2018, 04:50 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnLevel View Post
I think the guy who went on to set up the other recruiting company with the funny sounding name is an ACAS.
Claude! #beetlejuicing

I don't have experience with recruiting, but I"m pretty sure it's a standard sales position. Perhaps worse, you have to sell two ends - the company, and the recruit. Seems like a decent barrier to entry for an independent.

As for doing sales, done properly it's very well suited for many actuaries. Because you don't act like a cowboy and schmooze the old boys club. What you do is go to google and search 'sales playbook'. Sales, done properly, is a defined and documented, methodical process. Perfect for analytical type.

But if you're going to do sales, you'd want to make sure that recruiting is where the money is. There might be more money, easier, in insurance & financial product sales, and that's certainly something where being credentialled lends credibility.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:10 PM

Favorite beer: The kind with 2 e's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
There are a few. Generally, the skills to be an actuary and the skills to be a recruiter are not similar. The recruiters get paid more like 1/4 of annual salary, but most of the jobs are relatively junior, so it's $25k or so for most placements. And you have to make a billion cold calls, spend endless hours listen to people whine about their jobs, do 100 follow-up calls to get the logistics right. It's probably not what you think it is, but certainly a way to make a ton of money if you have the right skill set.

I don't think the ability to understand job requirements and work experience carries the value that you think.
what if I save time by mass emailing resumes of people I represent to a huge list of companies without Bcc'ing anyone? Then they can help me get name recognition