Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 12-03-2018, 10:01 PM
SOA

Default Actuary becoming a recruiter

Have you seen this happening? I know there are a couple of recruiting companies out there that have some career ASAs as their recruiters, but that's about it.

I think this can be an excellent gig for an experienced actuary as they're much more informed about job's requirements and they'll be able to translate the potential candidates' work experience and abilities into the company's requirements.

I don't know how much recruiters get paid but even if its 10% of the annual salary, and then the recruiting agent retains 75% of that, the dollars can be pretty decent. I totally made those numbers up and I have no idea how much it is. I would think 10% makes sense.

One con might be that this job is just another "sales" job and if its really the sales stuff that the actuary wants to get themselves in, there maybe other stuff they would be better off selling. I don't know if there is though. Insurance is hard to sell. Real estate requires a lot of work, including on field work.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:04 PM
CAS

I think the guy who went on to set up the other recruiting company with the funny sounding name is an ACAS.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:07 PM

There are a few. Generally, the skills to be an actuary and the skills to be a recruiter are not similar. The recruiters get paid more like 1/4 of annual salary, but most of the jobs are relatively junior, so it's $25k or so for most placements. And you have to make a billion cold calls, spend endless hours listen to people whine about their jobs, do 100 follow-up calls to get the logistics right. It's probably not what you think it is, but certainly a way to make a ton of money if you have the right skill set.

I don't think the ability to understand job requirements and work experience carries the value that you think.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:48 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Seems like it would pay well if you were good at it, especially for the really high level positions. I mean, if *********** and ****** weren't good at it, they'd have moved on a long time ago. Not my cup of tea, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:07 PM
SOA

Studying for CPD - and nuttin' else!
College: Swigmore U
Favorite beer: Guinness

There was an FSA I knew years ago who was a recruiter. Don't know if he's still a recruiter though.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:20 AM
CAS

if you were that good at cold calling and networking why not just work in sales? Why sell the people that help create the product when you can sell the product itself?
Old 12-04-2018, 07:47 AM
CAS Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And you have to make a billion cold calls, spend endless hours listen to people whine about their jobs
Even if the latter were true (which I highly doubt), it's up to the recruiter to allow that supposed "whining" to last for "endless hours".

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyGuy View Post
One con might be that this job is just another "sales" job and if its really the sales stuff that the actuary wants to get themselves in, there maybe other stuff they would be better off selling.
It is unclear from your post what you have in mind:
(1) to approach employers so as to offer them your catalog of candidates; or
(2) to take requests from employers whereby you would recruit candidates for them.

In (1) you chase employers (consumers), in (2) you chase actuarial candidates (suppliers).

Option (1) equals plain sales, and my opinion is that this type of intermediaries saturate the labor market (in and especially outside actuary).

Option (2) is very different than sales, though. It is more of a purchase department where your task is to evaluate suppliers on behalf of the employer.

In the actuarial labor market (as in many others) suppliers are price-takers because there is oversupply of labor, thereby making option (2) a much more comfortable position than (1). But, obviously, very few recruiters are actually in a (2)-like business.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:07 AM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostess View Post
if you were that good at cold calling and networking why not just work in sales? Why sell the people that help create the product when you can sell the product itself?
To some extent they like what they do. The actuaries I know who work as recruiters practically run their own businesses and are quite well-known figures in the community, and perhaps there is some enjoyment in that as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:31 AM
SOA

I mean as a recruiter, once I call the potential candidates or the companies, they better take me seriously because I’m also an FSA

in other words, uniquely qualified
Old 12-04-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pragmatist View Post
it's up to the recruiter to allow that supposed "whining" to last for "endless hours".
I mean, you can try NOT listening to the recruits and see how that works. Havenít seen a recruiter try that strategy, so maybe report back to us on that if you decide to go that route.