Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 11-30-2018, 12:35 AM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fracktuary View Post
I recently switched to DS from Actuarial. My company didnt "offer" me a pay raise but when I asked for one we negotiated a 20% increase.
Resume incoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:10 AM
SOA

College: bj

for real show us the resume
Old 11-30-2018, 08:30 AM

Studying for EA-2L

i'm not sure what a data scientist even is, but if you're that good and you feel your company is underpaying you, can't you just find another job instead of whining on here?

are data scientists better than actuaries and supposed to get paid more in the first place?
Spoiler:
Old 11-30-2018, 09:04 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
are data scientists better than actuaries and supposed to get paid more in the first place?
Depends on how good you are.

Quote:
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:29 AM

OP, it's hard to really know what's going on - you're at your job 40 hours / week and you've summarized one issue in a few sentences, so obviously there's a ton of info that isn't captured here, but sounds like you're being pretty unreasonable about a pretty simple issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingon1 View Post
My salary still that of a business analytics analyst. Thanks for your insights
What did they say when you asked about salary adjustment? How did they respond when you explained your logic for why you believe a salary increase is merited? What expectations did they lay when you asked about future adjustments? Sharing those conversations would help us have a better idea of what's reasonable.

Quote:
ps I'm also a little worried...........b/c now as I am a Data Scientist, I lose leverage for future salary increase.
You seem to believe that you should get paid for, and have leverage because of, the title. You don't. Your leverage, and the basis for your pay, is your skill set. This is true for actuaries, and much moreso in DS. If you have skills people want, you can leverage that into salary increase. Titles are just silly labels that mean pretty much nothing, and your pre-occupation with that suggests you're probably focusing on a lot of the wrong things elsewhere as well IMO.

Quote:
ps. in a sense, it's like an analyst becoming an Actuary and getting paid as analyst. What to do in those cases? I am a bit insulted, I had to earn this increase in title (have to have adv degree, etc) much thanks
Again, there's lots of information lacking, but the "adv degree, etc" is pretty important. Overall, your options are to try to justify to your company and persuade them that they should pay you more, or leave. Honestly, if your skills are worth as much as you say they are, go ahead and leave. You sound pretty upset with the company (to the point where it seems unlikely that this is the only issue IMO), so go do something else. If you actually have DS skills, there are A LOT of places out there begging for your resume. However, would suggest that you consider that multiple people, including me, are not at all impressed with how you've presented yourself ITT - def suggest you think through that before interviewing. If this is your place to vent, nothing wrong with that, but it’s not a good presentation for finding a new job.

Quote:
My work is sadly not very data sciency.
So, not really doing DS... and they're not paying you for doing DS. Hmmmmm.... Honestly, that's an issue, but not the one that you're asking about, so I'll let that drop, and you can start a thread on that if you actually want to do something about that I guess. Again, sounds like the company is doing the right thing, paying you for what you're doing, which is not DS. You know, sometimes a person's skill set and their job aren't a match - doesn't mean that either you or your company are doing something wrong, they're just asking you to do what they need done, you do your best, you get paid for what you're doing.

Quote:
I make them look good now too
I think you vastly overestimate how good you make them look. You're saying your work isn't much DS, so, basically they get to say "We have a DS guy" - that probably doesn't affect them as much as you seem to think.

Quote:
Ok, can you please elaborate. First, they expect me to solve higher value add business (which is why they changed me...). Also, what do you mean by 'formal proposal' exactly-is that salary proposal, or project proposal? Do you mean that I would perform a great project and THEN ask for salary increase?
So, for this part, you come across as "I'm very valuable because I know math, even though I don't really understand the business of what we're doing". Which honestly isn't very valuable. Not saying that's true, but that's how you sound, here ITT. Hopefully not how you sound in the office.

Quote:
Thanks, but I already showed value, which is why I am now a DS
Curious why you didn't ask about salary when they told you this. Or if you did, what they said.

Last edited by Westley; 11-30-2018 at 09:33 AM..
Old 11-30-2018, 10:03 AM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Alpha King

What's the ceiling for a data scientist at an insurance company? I'd have to believe actuaries have a much higher ceiling, have people thought about this?
Old 11-30-2018, 10:08 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Bum View Post
What's the ceiling for a data scientist at an insurance company? I'd have to believe actuaries have a much higher ceiling, have people thought about this?
I think it depends on the company. There seem to be parallel positions these days all the way up to VP. I don't see too many data scientists equivalent to chief actuary (Chief Data Scientist?) and oftentimes the most senior data scientist reports to the CA, so I suppose there. If the analytics department is completely separated from actuarial and large, I suppose there would be a position parallel to CA.

I don't see many DS executives either, but actuary executives are fairly common.

Quote:

Last edited by Colonel Smoothie; 11-30-2018 at 10:12 AM..
Old 11-30-2018, 10:15 AM
CAS

I wonder if there's some age bias too. I mean the actuarial profession has been around for longer and DS is fairly new, so a lot of the senior positions will be held by actuaries with decades of experience.

Quote:
Old 11-30-2018, 10:41 AM

Studying for EA-2L

actually, i think i misread that as him thinking that data science is superior to actuarial science.
Spoiler:
Old 11-30-2018, 10:42 AM

Studying for EA-2L

Quote:
ps. in a sense, it's like an analyst becoming an Actuary and getting paid as analyst. What to do in those cases? I am a bit insulted, I had to earn this increase in title (have to have adv degree, etc) much thanks
what's the difference? new hires are called "actuarial analysts".
Spoiler: