Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-29-2018, 09:37 AM
lookingon1 lookingon1 is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
College: bj
Posts: 517
Default My position made me a Data Scientist, but salary unchanged what should I do please

My salary still that of a business analytics analyst. Thanks for your insights
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-29-2018, 09:39 AM
lookingon1 lookingon1 is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
College: bj
Posts: 517
Default

ps I'm also a little worried...........b/c now as I am a Data Scientist, I lose leverage for future salary increase. Is it time to get out? Look for a job that will pay me? thanks
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-29-2018, 09:40 AM
lookingon1 lookingon1 is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
College: bj
Posts: 517
Default

ps. in a sense, it's like an analyst becoming an Actuary and getting paid as analyst. What to do in those cases? I am a bit insulted, I had to earn this increase in title (have to have adv degree, etc) much thanks
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-29-2018, 09:43 AM
Colonel Smoothie's Avatar
Colonel Smoothie Colonel Smoothie is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale
Posts: 49,180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingon1 View Post
My salary still that of a business analytics analyst. Thanks for your insights
Start learning data scientist skills
__________________
Recommended Readings for the EL Actuary || Recommended Readings for the EB Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-29-2018, 09:44 AM
Colonel Smoothie's Avatar
Colonel Smoothie Colonel Smoothie is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale
Posts: 49,180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingon1 View Post
ps I'm also a little worried...........b/c now as I am a Data Scientist, I lose leverage for future salary increase. Is it time to get out? Look for a job that will pay me? thanks
Yeah. If you can't find one then you're a data scientist in name only.
__________________
Recommended Readings for the EL Actuary || Recommended Readings for the EB Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-29-2018, 09:48 AM
Fracktuary Fracktuary is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,885
Default

I recently switched to DS from Actuarial. My company didnt "offer" me a pay raise but when I asked for one we negotiated a 20% increase.

I would wait a month or two, see if you are actually learning marketable data science stuff and then have the conversation with your boss. If you find that you have the required skills (stuff you dont really learn in graduate school) and are not being paid a fair wage, you can almost surely jump ship for a significant increase.

IMO it's really important to look at the work you are doing and determine is it is Data Sciency enough to make you marketable before you take any action or make any decisions.

Feel free to PM me.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-29-2018, 09:48 AM
lookingon1 lookingon1 is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
College: bj
Posts: 517
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
Start learning data scientist skills
Hi Colonel,
Thanks, but I have some already (although need to learn more)-however, that's why I was qualified for this name change. What do you mean please?

Please give me some direct insight, is this at all surprising to you?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-29-2018, 09:50 AM
lookingon1 lookingon1 is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
College: bj
Posts: 517
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fracktuary View Post
I recently switched to DS from Actuarial. My company didnt "offer" me a pay raise but when I asked for one we negotiated a 20% increase.

I would wait a month or two, see if you are actually learning marketable data science stuff and then have the conversation with your boss. If you find that you have the required skills (stuff you dont really learn in graduate school) and are not being paid a fair wage, you can almost surely jump ship for a significant increase.

IMO it's really important to look at the work you are doing and determine is it is Data Sciency enough to make you marketable before you take any action or make any decisions.

Feel free to PM me.
My work is sadly not very data sciency. But they want me to contribute with data science, and I should mention I'm the only one who has this credential in my group (otherwise business analytics). Also, they leveraged my education. But I ended up with a just lousy title and no pay...not happy (they say that the data science role has opportunties for higher pay eventually...and I'm supposed to just accept that?)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-29-2018, 09:54 AM
lookingon1 lookingon1 is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
College: bj
Posts: 517
Default

what really makes me mad is I was waiting to gain those extra DS skills in order to EVENTUALLY go the DS route-AND GET THE PAY INCREASE. So Now it's like they placed me there with the lower pay and in a sense pushed me back. Any thoughts there please...just stick it out and be happy to be DS or get out and look, bc frankly I'm insulted and feel like I'm being used. I make them look good now too
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-29-2018, 09:55 AM
Colonel Smoothie's Avatar
Colonel Smoothie Colonel Smoothie is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale
Posts: 49,180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingon1 View Post
Hi Colonel,
Thanks, but I have some already (although need to learn more)-however, that's why I was qualified for this name change. What do you mean please?

Please give me some direct insight, is this at all surprising to you?
You have some to be paid what you're being paid but not enough for more pay, so learn more.
__________________
Recommended Readings for the EL Actuary || Recommended Readings for the EB Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.19492 seconds with 9 queries