Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 11-28-2018, 05:42 PM

Favorite beer: Budweiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjacjswo View Post
I think it's against common sense to arrive one hr early and reach the interviewer.
Yes, that's a good way to sum it up. Shows a lack of common sense. I mean would you ever arrive an hour early to ANY other appointment and expect the other party to be ready/OK for it? Yes, you could just "wait by the receptionist and read Cosmo" but again, in an interview, you are potentially being judged in every possible way. So much safer to just wait entirely outside the office somewhere and come in when you are actually scheduled.
Old 11-28-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Right View Post
I never would have thought this could be a negative thing, I mean a day early sure but an hour, wow.
I don't think I've ever arrived to an appointment one hour early. Seems excessive to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listeria View Post
I don't think figure8 agrees with figure8 anymore.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:43 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by twig93 View Post
Being rude to a receptionist / secretary / assistant is indeed a VERY bad idea, but showing up an hour early is not being rude / a dick.
I never said it was. Once someone gets there, they have to not be rude/be a dick. You'd be surprised how some people need to be told this.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art
Old 11-28-2018, 07:44 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by figure 8 View Post
Would you want to hire someone who values their time in such a way that reading Cosmo for an hour in an office lobby is a choice they voluntarily decided to make? If they don't even value their own time, how are they going to value your company's time?
They should be posting on the AO about how they have to wait so long for an interview even though they showed up early. THAT's productive!

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art
Old 11-28-2018, 07:49 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Right View Post
I never would have thought this could be a negative thing, I mean a day early sure but an hour, wow.
Pretty predictable if you ask me.

Actuaries going to Actuary. Need to nit-pick everything to death.

But yeah, this is a pretty sad POV to have.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:49 PM
SOA AAA

OK, so Kenny thinks an hour is toooooo early.

What is a reasonable earliness amount? I mean, a candidate is probably going to run the gauntlet of interviews that someone lined up for him. Wouldn't you like to know that the candidate has arrived, say, a minute before the first interview? 5 minutes? 10 minutes?

I mean, I could make a poll asking everyone else for their guesses of your perfect early time, and get an average with a SD, then make a chart for a presentation later, but I think I'll just ask you.

Old 11-28-2018, 07:56 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
I don't think I've ever arrived to an appointment one hour early. Seems excessive to me.
There are a lot of variables depending on your area. I've certainly arrived way before interviews that were on the other side of Los Angeles. On purpose, because:
A) I want to be there before the first interview.
B) I want to be relaxed enough, without the stress that accompanies driving from one side of L.A. to the other.

But, I heed Kenny's rant/advice and go somewhere to wind down before the interviews start. I could go, say 5 minutes in one direction, and know it shouldn't take more than 10 minutes (if driving -- walking will be closer to 5 minutes) to get back. Rain changes this decision a bit. (Gonna rain here tonight through Friday, then maybe some more on Saturday, so, yeah, it happens.)

Old 11-29-2018, 03:42 AM

Favorite beer: the closest one

It all depends on the sort of place you're interviewing. Some places don't have a nice big lobby that you can reasonably sit.
I interviewed at one place that had no reception at all. Opened the door to their office and, there I was, right in the middle of everyone working...

In general, if there's a coffee shop or somewhere else obvious to wait, go there. If not, maybe go for a walk. If the weather's no good then you go in, tell the receptionist that you're really early for an interview - and ask them if there's somewhere you could go and wait.

Once I know someone is waiting for me, suddenly I feel like I'm the rude one for making them wait. That's a negative. And, as others have said, it's just not normal to turn up that early. You wouldn't do it going to the movies, you wouldn't do it meeting friends, you wouldn't do it in a restaurant. So don't do it here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the North View Post
Excel gave me #VALUE.

Edit: Nevermind, I was linking a sumif and didn't open the linked spreadsheet. It is now giving me #N/A.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:21 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
In a small office, the receptionist might have more pull than candidates think. Be a dick to the receptionist, and you probably won't get the job.
you really think the receptionist has a say in the hiring process?

I bet if you didn't do anything majorly alarming (like hit on the receptionist), it won't really matter. showing up an hour early to inconvinience the receptionist? I think not.

Last edited by hostess; 11-29-2018 at 07:37 AM..
Old 11-29-2018, 09:54 AM
SOA

Quote:
Would you want to hire someone who values their time in such a way that reading Cosmo for an hour in an office lobby is a choice they voluntarily decided to make?
Why judge a candidate for how they like to spend their off time? Maybe they *like* Cosmo; maybe they're reading their favorite novel. Most likely they're catching up on Facebook and texting people on their phone... or whatever the young 'uns do on smart phones these days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Mahoney View Post
would you ever arrive an hour early to ANY other appointment
Of course, I've already mentioned this, and gave an example.
Quote:
and expect the other party to be ready/OK for it?
No, that would be ludicrous. If a candidate did THAT and you want to judge them negatively for it, then fine... I would too. But not for the showing up an hour early part... for the expecting me to adjust my schedule part. I think that 99.9% of candidates who arrive early to an interview do NOT expect the interviewer to move up the time of the interview.

In fact, if I'm early, I make it clear that I know I'm early and don't expect accommodation.

"Hi, I'm Twig and I'm pretty early for a 10:30 meeting with Father Mahoney. Would it be OK if I sit over there while I wait for him?"

Tags
autism, pedantry, poindexter, wow