Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 11-28-2018, 02:01 PM
Non-Actuary

Default There is such a thing as being too early

Just had someone show up to our office an hour before the interview. (Non-actuarial position)

Just an FYI, it is possible to show up too early. Sit in your car, find a nearby coffee shop, stand on the corner. Don't arrive to the office (especially a small office) an hour before the interview because you likely just inconvenienced at least one person who now has to deal with you and figure out if things can start early.
Usually while I'm reading, I'm actually thinking about...midgets riding toy horses - Roto

Old 11-28-2018, 02:04 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
Just had someone show up to our office an hour before the interview. (Non-actuarial position)

Just an FYI, it is possible to show up too early. Sit in your car, find a nearby coffee shop, stand on the corner. Don't arrive to the office (especially a small office) an hour before the interview because you likely just inconvenienced at least one person who now has to deal with you and figure out if things can start early.
Why canít they just wait by reception?
Old 11-28-2018, 02:24 PM
SOA

Quote:

A local person?

I would be pretty sympathetic if they were driving a ways. Like I interviewed for a position in Portland when I was living in Seattle and it's a 2.5 - 3.5 hour drive depending on traffic. Wanting to ensure I wouldn't be late, I left like 4 hours before the interview and arrived around 1 hour before the interview. It was late November and even in Portland, pretty cold to sit in the car for a solid hour.

My recollection is that I drove around the block for 15 minutes, then sat in the car for 15 minutes until it got cold, then showed up 30 minutes early and explained that I knew I was early but I wanted to get out of the cold and wait inside. I think my interview ended up starting around 10 minutes early, but I would have been perfectly happy if it had started 5 minutes late... whatever was convenient for the interviewer.

Now if the candidate lives or was staying in a hotel that's less than 20 minutes away, an hour early is pretty excessive.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:31 PM
CAS Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostess View Post
Exactly. No need to grade him lower (even if inadvertently) for that pseudo-inconvenience.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:44 PM
SOA AAA

In a small office, the receptionist might have more pull than candidates think. Be a dick to the receptionist, and you probably won't get the job.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art
Old 11-28-2018, 02:57 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Use your judgement imo. There are some campuses that aren't close by to anything so I don't think it's worth risking being late. But if there's some place nearby where you can chill and easily make it to the office 10 min early, that's fine.

Sometimes building security can be onerous (had to wait 30 min once to get a visitor badge).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 11-28-2018, 03:00 PM
SOA

There is such a thing, certainly. Three days would definitely be too early. One hour? Suck it up poindexter, I think you can let someone sit quietly for an hour without it ruining your day.
Old 11-28-2018, 03:42 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childish Gambino View Post
There is such a thing, certainly. Three days would definitely be too early. One hour? Suck it up poindexter, I think you can let someone sit quietly for an hour without it ruining your day.
Ruin my day? LOL I said inconvenience someone. But sure, insult me because you don't understand that people get judged on the smallest of things on a regular basis.

The candidate's job is to present themselves in the best light possible. In the middle of a city with 5 coffee shops in a 2 block radius showing up an hour early simply makes you look like you don't understand societal norms. You aren't going to show up to a prospective client's office an hour early and say here I am, suck it up.

Sure, the interviewee can sit there and twiddle his thumbs for an hour in front of me. But why would that person want to look like they can't tell time? I am simply warning people (who consistently seem clueless about how to act in general) away from a very easily corrected issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostess View Post
What's that?
Usually while I'm reading, I'm actually thinking about...midgets riding toy horses - Roto

Old 11-28-2018, 04:15 PM
SOA

Studying for FAP
Favorite beer: Miller Lite

[Sarcasm]Considering the EL market saturation these days, anything less than being a perfect 90 seconds early gets you automatically disqualified.[Sarcasm/]
Old 11-28-2018, 04:20 PM
SOA

Quote:
You aren't going to show up to a prospective client's office an hour early and say here I am, suck it up.
I dunno, I've sat in a client's lobby for more than an hour in between meetings before. Like I have a meeting at 9 AM with Person A and it lasts 45 minutes and then I have another meeting at 11:30 AM with Person B in the same office.

In that case I'd have a laptop with me and would type up meeting notes and catch up on emails if I could connect to the internet. It's never seemed to bother anyone. It's admittedly been a while since I've done that as I am no longer in a position where I'm meeting with clients, but back in the day I did it no problem.

If I was in such a position today, I'd be more likely to hang out in a Starbucks instead of the lobby. But back in those - much younger - days I didn't need coffee to function, and if I was already sufficiently caffeinated I wouldn't think twice about doing it again.

Tags
autism, pedantry, poindexter, wow