Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 11-25-2018, 04:26 PM
CAS SOA

Default Career advice

Hey guys happy thanksgiving weekend!

So I have only 1 exam under my belt and I'm studying for my second exam. Problem is I am not getting interviews for internships(only three) like I had hoped to and I was not offered the position for the two interviews I had.

If I am graduating in December of 2019 then is it even worth it to continue trying to become an actuary?

The market seems SO SATURATED right now especially for internships and EL. When I went in for the two interviews I had most of the students were juniors and had 2 exams while the others were masters students with 3 exams.

I am strongly considering getting a masters in Data Science and just calling it quits on pursuing the actuarial career. Its probably not too late to stop trying to go all in to the actuarial career.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:01 PM
SOA

Keep at it, you still have a few months to land a summer internship and a year to get an entry level job. Competition is fierce, but keep applying... especially to local openings. Keep in mind the interviews are more about being personable and appearing easy to work with than number of exams. There are awkward 4-exam candidates that regularly strike out and there are personable 1-exam candidates that land internships.

If you have nothing by this time next year then you should look to the data science masters as a plan b.

Just my $0.02

Last edited by ElPatron; 11-25-2018 at 05:06 PM..
Old 11-25-2018, 05:06 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterbass View Post
Hey guys happy thanksgiving weekend!

So I have only 1 exam under my belt and I'm studying for my second exam. Problem is I am not getting interviews for internships(only three) like I had hoped to and I was not offered the position for the two interviews I had.

If I am graduating in December of 2019 then is it even worth it to continue trying to become an actuary?

The market seems SO SATURATED right now especially for internships and EL. When I went in for the two interviews I had most of the students were juniors and had 2 exams while the others were masters students with 3 exams.

I am strongly considering getting a masters in Data Science and just calling it quits on pursuing the actuarial career. Its probably not too late to stop trying to go all in to the actuarial career.

do both... apply for masters in data science and apply for internships/FT roles.

but don't apply for masters in data science unless you are actually interested in data science cause then you'll be in the same situation you currently are in... but in 2 years and a buttload more in debt.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:08 PM

College: About to be a super senior

I think that for now keep applying to as many internship positions as you can and see what comes of it.
But, overall, if you have other viable career options like data science, it's not bad at all to just pursue that option. You have one exam now, and you have to take and pass tons more to get the fellowship and make the real 'actuary money.' Also, you will most likely be geographically limited if you work in this field.
If you have another very good option, why go through all that trouble to limit yourself to a ridiculously narrow profession?
I don't know too much about data science. so, it's up to you to research and make the decision, though. Like what school you can get into and what the career progression looks like after graduation.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:08 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

No one is guaranteed a job, even when they have all the skills (soft and technical), have a good network, etc.

That being said, improving your profile will increase your odds of getting one. And there are many things you can do right now that are under your control to improve yourself. Uncertainty is something that can hit some people really hard (especially those who grew up in predictable environments) once they graduate. Handling uncertainty is also a useful skill to have. One thing that is certain is that you will continue to remain where you are if you do nothing, unless you get lucky. There's a lot of luck involved and your goal is, while you can't make getting a job certain, you can make getting one more lucky for yourself.

Things you can work on:

- Exams
- Communication skills (likeability, clarity, tone, persuasiveness)
- Technical skills
- Networking
- Physical appearance
- Physical fitness

While exams are the most important thing you can work on right now, they are also the biggest time waster if you ultimately choose not to become an actuary. A silver lining is that the discipline gained and the willingness to work hard in the face of uncertainty and not knowing whether it will pay off are skills that you can bring with you wherever you go. The other five things will help you no matter where you end up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.

Last edited by Colonel Smoothie; 11-25-2018 at 05:13 PM..
Old 11-25-2018, 05:18 PM
CAS SOA

Thanks! You guys are always helpful!
Old 11-25-2018, 10:40 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterbass View Post
You guys are always helpful!
You must have the wrong AO.
Old 11-26-2018, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostess View Post
do both... apply for masters in data science and apply for internships/FT roles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
Spoiler:
The most important thing I have learned from the career forum is that the gurus in this field and keepers of supreme knowledge regarding all matters pertaining to the actuarial profession are unlettered actuarial students with < 5 years of experience.
Old 11-26-2018, 06:14 AM

You don't say how many applications you have made; 3 interviews from say 12 applications is ok, 3 from 100 not so good. But the fact that you are getting some interviews suggests your background/resume is okay.

Perhaps concentrate on brushing up interview skills - at that stage you have to persuade them to pick you ahead of the other equally qualified candidates.