Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Old 11-28-2018, 06:15 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Mahoney View Post
Shows a lack of focus and commitment to the company. I'd assume this person would ask for something similar down the road, be it an extended vacation or another unpaid leave. Not someone I want put into a leadership position which generally requires much more devotion to the company.
You honestly sound like a robot.

And you where the same guy arguing against changing jobs every few years in order to boost your income.

Companies must love you. You do what you are told, cause no waves, and love being underpaid because you seriously believe a corporate entity has your best interests at heart.

Laughably naive all-around. There is more to life than planting your back-side at a desk 9-5, and most good companies know this. This is why a career break exists.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:21 PM

Favorite beer: Budweiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Polymath View Post
You honestly sound like a robot.

And you where the same guy arguing against changing jobs every few years in order to boost your income.

Companies must love you. You do what you are told, cause no waves, and love being underpaid because you seriously believe a corporate entity has your best interests at heart.

Laughably naive all-around. There is more to life than planting your back-side at a desk 9-5, and most good companies know this. This is why a career break exists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Polymath View Post
Work life balance can be achieved without leaving your company for "2 to 3 months." I would never ever consider putting someone on a fast track if they thought it was OK to avoid work for that length of time , simply to take an extended vacation. It would have to be an extreme circumtance, e.g. parent dying and need to be with them on their death bed. And I call BS to anyone who says otherwise.

You must be in a really low, grunt level position or have been screwed over by your company(s), probably due to your own fault. I bet you're the type of person who is always looking to blame others for your own shortcomings, never able to admit you are just mediocre or an under-performer. You probably believe it's always the evil corporations that are holding you back and preventing you from being the next CEO.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:41 PM
CAS

Quote:
Work life balance can be achieved without leaving your company for "2 to 3 months." I would never ever consider putting someone on a fast track if they thought it was OK to avoid work for that length of time , simply to take an extended vacation...
How fast a track are we talking about? I have a friend who was burnt out and didn't want to do software. He quit, and took and extended vacation to some warm island. Maybe found some work there. After about 6 months, he realized he really liked doing software. He worked hard at a software-heavy company for about 5 years after that, and then quit to be a stay at home dad for his young family.

After a couple of years of that, he returned to work, at the same company he'd quit. He is now very senior in that company, and seems happy and successful. Granted, he didn't take a leave of absence. He quit, and took on the risk of finding a new job. But he's done just fine.

Anyway, whether I would approve an employee's long leave of absence for a vacation would depend on how valuable they were, how likely I thought it was that they would return, and how disruptive it would be to keep a spot open for them. Jobs and employees vary a lot. In the right circumstances, I would fight hard to get my employee that leave. In the wrong circumstances I would suggest that if they want the time off, they should quit and find a new job when they want to come back.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:28 PM

Studying for EA-2L

Quote:
Shows a lack of focus and commitment to the company. I'd assume this person would ask for something similar down the road, be it an extended vacation or another unpaid leave. Not someone I want put into a leadership position which generally requires much more devotion to the company.
what do you think about sabbaticals that are offered by the company? I believe they are paid. should people just opt out of them because it shows lack of commitment to the company?
Spoiler:
Old 11-29-2018, 03:36 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Work life balance can be achieved without leaving your company for "2 to 3 months." I would never ever consider putting someone on a fast track if they thought it was OK to avoid work for that length of time , simply to take an extended vacation. It would have to be an extreme circumtance, e.g. parent dying and need to be with them on their death bed. And I call BS to anyone who says otherwise.

You must be in a really low, grunt level position or have been screwed over by your company(s), probably due to your own fault. I bet you're the type of person who is always looking to blame others for your own shortcomings, never able to admit you are just mediocre or an under-performer. You probably believe it's always the evil corporations that are holding you back and preventing you from being the next CEO.
I'm the guy they call to fix problems caused by guys exactly like you, who do not possess the necessary skills to solve complex actuarial problems, and just end up messing things up.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:37 PM
CAS SOA

I seriously doubt this guy has had one original thought in his life.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:23 PM

Studying for EA-2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
what do you think about sabbaticals that are offered by the company? I believe they are paid. should people just opt out of them because it shows lack of commitment to the company?
actually, why stop there? Father Mahoney, do you think it shows a lack of commitment and focus for people who take any of their vacation days too? If not, why not?
Spoiler:
Old 11-29-2018, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
Anyway, whether I would approve an employee's long leave of absence for a vacation would depend on how valuable they were, how likely I thought it was that they would return, and how disruptive it would be to keep a spot open for them. Jobs and employees vary a lot. In the right circumstances, I would fight hard to get my employee that leave. In the wrong circumstances I would suggest that if they want the time off, they should quit and find a new job when they want to come back.
In my experience, the most valuable employees realize how integral they are to the company and would self-select themselves out of even asking for this type of request. The people who want to take a 2-3 month vacation are generally not as focused on the company's goals and success.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Sabbaticals are a different story. If that is part of the company culture and is generally accepted, then by all means take them. I'm assuming based on the original post that this was an unorthodox request and not something generally done and accepted. I've heard of this happening in the tech industry - I think it's Intel that gives sabbaticals - but certainly not in the insurance industry.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:41 PM

Quote:
actually, why stop there? Father Mahoney, do you think it shows a lack of commitment and focus for people who take any of their vacation days too? If not, why not?
Vacation is a standard benefit a company offers and it is expected that employees use their allotted time. Completely different from a 2-3 month unpaid leave that is not part of the culture.