Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 11-19-2018, 10:23 PM
CAS

swiss re is where its at... reinsurance > consulting > insurance no?
Old 11-20-2018, 08:40 AM
SOA

Studying for PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
For me it's a toss up between Allstate and CNA. State Farm is located in the boonies and so is Swiss Re (I'm assuming OP is in Illinois). Being in reinsurance is not worth living in Schaumburg, imo.

Allstate is now at Merchandise Mart, which is close to the Loop. River North is a great place to be if you like nightlife.

My impression is that CNA tends to be more uptight about exam progress whereas Allstate is a bit more laid back. CNA people historically have liked to brag about poaching Allstate employees, but I see that gap narrowing with Allstate's new location in the Loop.
Oh damn, didn't realize they had that option.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
For me it's a toss up between Allstate and CNA. State Farm is located in the boonies and so is Swiss Re (I'm assuming OP is in Illinois). Being in reinsurance is not worth living in Schaumburg, imo.

Allstate is now at Merchandise Mart, which is close to the Loop. River North is a great place to be if you like nightlife.

My impression is that CNA tends to be more uptight about exam progress whereas Allstate is a bit more laid back. CNA people historically have liked to brag about poaching Allstate employees, but I see that gap narrowing with Allstate's new location in the Loop.
Meh, for a summer can be anywhere. The Armonk office for Swiss Re is on a gorgeous campus .
Old 11-20-2018, 09:13 AM
SOA

Studying for PA

I actually OP has so many offers and weak enough preferences that they shouldn't pick based on where they think they want to work. They'll likely end up with just as many if not more options for full time having the internship experience. They should actually pick the job which will best help them figure out where they want to be for full time.

I say go with Mercer or Swiss Re. Mercer, if the consulting office is a sweatshop, they'd be more likely to get real work and find out whether or not they want to work in a sweatshop. Swiss Re I don't know much about, but it the resinsurance/brokerage aspects make me think it's more different from CNA/State Farm/Allstate than any of those 3 carriers would be for each other. If OP doesn't like Mercer, a carrier becomes an easy choice

I don't think it's necessarily bad to pick insurance. I just think there's less variance in the outcome of the internship. They'll have an organized program, activities with the other interns, a little something to work on but nothing too difficult or stressful. Based on the OP, they will probably just end up at whichever carrier they pick unless they really like job searching (or discover they have some location preferences).

OP, consider if you'd want to work in Bloomington, downtown Chicago, or the suburbs. Location is known. There could be a lot of variance in how much you'll like your manager/first role within each company that none of us can evaluate.

Last edited by DrWillKirby; 11-20-2018 at 09:22 AM..
Old 11-20-2018, 09:46 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrovertedactuary View Post
I generally agree with this analysis, but my one word of caution around your personal/commercial advice is that it seems most actuaries at Allstate work in personal, and from my experience, it is harder to change companies from a personal lines role to a commercial lines role than the other way around. So if one assumes you'll be placed in a personal lines role for Allstate, I would actually go with CNA.

I'd give Swiss Re a serious look too, especially if it's P&C Re not Life Re. I wouldn't make my internship decision based on location though, but that's just me.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostess View Post
I believe CNA only does commercial insurance where as statefarm and allstate do both personal and commercial so you can get more exposure to more product lines (afaik).
This is technically true but fairly misleading imo. Allstate’s commercial lines is mostly a support line sold through the same agency group, and therefore looks a lot like a personal lines product. The various commercial lines at cna are more varied than Allstate’s personal and commercial lines imo.

Eta: ninjas abound. Would say lots of good advice here and OP shouldn’t fret, there isn’t really a bad option here. Would add that there’s value in going to a location that you don’t know if you’d want to live there and see how that works out. Like said above, Schaumburg kinda sucks imo, but spending a summer deciding if you might like it could be ok. And if you don’t want to go back, at least you learned that.

Last edited by Westley; 11-20-2018 at 09:54 AM..
Old 11-20-2018, 10:38 AM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjacjswo View Post
I heard swiss re pays really well. So, either swiss re or CNA. CNA has the best location in my opinion, and also a good rotation program.
Swiss Re pays above average in most locations that I know off.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:21 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
This is technically true but fairly misleading imo. Allstate’s commercial lines is mostly a support line sold through the same agency group, and therefore looks a lot like a personal lines product. The various commercial lines at cna are more varied than Allstate’s personal and commercial lines imo.

aah i see.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:44 AM

College: About to be a super senior

Basically commercial insurance at allstate is mostly for mom and pop shops, while commercial insurance at CNA will be for corporations and such. So, actuarial work will be somewhat different.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:46 AM

College: About to be a super senior

Does Allstate really have an actuarial office downtown? Interesting.
I saw that they have Airity or whatever in downtown. But, that's not the core Allstate, I think.

Tags
decision, internship, job