Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 11-29-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcie View Post
I think the explanation is that if the company already has your resume then there's a good chance the recruiter will not be getting their commission
If the recruiter is just spamming in resumes, that's certainly true.

When I've worked with a recruiter on a role I needed to fill - as in "I need a person that can do X, has Y credential/exams, and Z years of experience, close to or willing to move to Chicago, and who would consider a salary in my approved range", they're getting paid for the resumes they send, regardless of whether or not they came to the company another way. That is, if that resume is in HR's system from some posting in another department or whatever, but I don't have it and the recruiter sends it to me, the recruiter is getting paid for that.

This happens a lot (more than you would expect) at large companies. Small companies, it's pretty uncommon - when you're looking to hire, the first thing you do is talk to the three other actuaries and see if they have somebody in their network or whatever.

If the recruiter is really well-connected at a company, they can have some conversations or may have a listing that you weren't aware of. Or they might not, even if they are extremely well-connected. But the spammers that are just blasting resumes will certainly not have that because they aren't even trying to be good at what they do. Discerning which type you're talking to is very difficult because the bad recruiters out there are pretty dishonest and just parroting the same lines as the good ones. As I've posted elsewhere, this is part of why I recommend getting to know recruiters well in advance of needing one (not helpful for the OP, I know, sorry).
Old 11-29-2018, 11:51 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jominican View Post
....and I'm just not getting any replies from companies I applied through the company website.
Do you expect the company website to get back to you???
CALL!! USE YOUR VOICE!!! AM I TALKING TOO LOUD???? I GET THAT A LOT!!! TRYING TO GET MY POINT ACROSS!!!

Go through the HR Machine, AND send your resume to a few "big names" you find in the Actuarial Directory. Call them, let them know you have a pleasant speaking voice, etc. Ask if you can meet them (if you're in the same town) after work. Call former associates who now work at those companies, and ask them to put in a good word for you.

Company websites are not always up-to-date on openings. Some require a job to be posted before it's filled, but the hiring manager already has someone in mind (often internally). But the HR Machine makes them post. So, that post is a waste of your eyeball time. Some HR Machines keep postings up long after they've been filled. Someone has to take them off the web site, and sometimes that does not happen immediately.

Short version: HR Machine sucks just as much as Old-Timey HR.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art
Old 11-29-2018, 12:00 PM

College: About to be a super senior

Would you recommend sending emails when you are experienced as well? The OP is practically ASA/ACAS.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:14 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjacjswo View Post
Would you recommend sending emails when you are experienced as well? The OP is practically ASA/ACAS.
Why not?

But I would expect a higher-quality, more targeted email from a more experienced job seeker than from an EL candidate.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:14 PM
SOA

Studying for QFI Core Exam

F*** S***Y J******S
Old 11-29-2018, 12:26 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjacjswo View Post
Yup.

A wizard like himself might use owls, though.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art
Old 11-29-2018, 12:36 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by n27 View Post
F*** S***Y J******S

That escalated quickly.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:55 PM
SOA

Studying for QFI Core Exam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcie View Post

That escalated quickly.
'Twas just a shitpost
Old 11-29-2018, 01:51 PM
SOA

So after I left the first recruiter, how do I make sure she's not sending resumes to anyone else? I emailed her telling her I no longer need her service and she never replied, so I assumed she got the email. I tried calling her before emailing as well but she never picked up her calls.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:55 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by jominican View Post
So after I left the first recruiter, how do I make sure she's not sending resumes to anyone else? I emailed her telling her I no longer need her service and she never replied, so I assumed she got the email. I tried calling her before emailing as well but she never picked up her calls.
When I'm done with a recruiter, I tell them not to send it out anymore. The only way to find out if they're still doing it is to be contacted for a position you didn't apply to. I haven't had that happen to me, but if I did, I would use sterner words.

Recruiters know reputation is important so I expect them to respect my requests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.