Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 11-20-2018, 03:09 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jominican View Post
I haven't heard from her in over a week despite sending her a couple emails, so probably high. Is that unprofessional on my part or her part?
I wouldn't have made a thread about this IMO.

However, I don't think the recruiter is reading it. I don't think said recruiter wastes time reading AO.
Old 11-20-2018, 03:36 PM
SOA

Studying for FAP
Favorite beer: Miller Lite

DW Simpson reading this thread: "(Salivating)"
Old 11-20-2018, 03:50 PM
CAS AAA

Studying for years

Quote:
I haven't heard from her in over a week despite sending her a couple emails, so probably high. Is that unprofessional on my part or her part?
Ehh... maybe both? I wouldn't mention that you made this thread to anyone in a professional setting (not that you necessarily would have).

I also defer to act_123 in their most recent post, I don't know this recruiter personally.
Taylor originally called his product "Taylor's Prepared Ham", but was forced to change the name after it failed to meet the new legal definition of "ham" established by the Pure Food and Drug Act of 1906.
Old 11-20-2018, 03:58 PM
CAS

I could be wrong.
Old 11-20-2018, 03:59 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb554 View Post
DW Simpson reading this thread: "(Salivating)"
Ehh.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:42 AM

Favorite beer: Budweiser

If it's who we all think it is, I worked with her twice, both when I was very young in my career. I had a great experience the first time and she was able to place me in an awesome job, but a mediocre experience the second time, and likely would not use her again. I think she works well for younger actuaries who are less seasoned and need to be told what to do. Looking back now that I've been in the business awhile, some of her advice was very bad.
Old 11-28-2018, 04:23 PM
SOA

I just want to give everyone an update on my situation and hopefully get some feedback as I feel like I'm in a bad position right now.

So after working with the said recruiter in my original post, she didn't deliver much promising results and I decided to move on with job searching myself. I didn't get in depth detail on why she couldn't get me more than 1 interview, but I assumed I should be qualified for any open positions she has connection to (if there are in fact any). After that, I started submitting some resumes to companies that I found myself but have not heard back from anyone in nearly 3 weeks. So now, I decided to use a different recruiter and they told me they have connections to the companies that I applied for myself. Unfortunately, they cannot re-submit my resumes.

Here are some of my questions/thoughts:
-Should I not have applied for positions myself if it seems like recruiters can at least get me phone interviews? The disappointing results from the first recruiter led me to feel like I should take matters into my own hands.
-I feel like I'm pretty much screwed since the second recruiter seems like she could have connected me to these companies that are supposedly hiring, but my resume is stuck in the system.
-I honestly don't feel like my resume is poor enough to just have it be stuck in the system. My resume has been checked by many people including some Fellows, so realistically what can I do to at least land some phone interviews?
-Assuming the worst and I cannot find a job in 6 months to a year, what should I do differently next time?

I would really appreciate any feedback...!
Old 11-28-2018, 06:03 PM
CAS

How much experience do you have?
Old 11-28-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
After that, I started submitting some resumes to companies that I found myself but have not heard back from anyone in nearly 3 weeks. So now, I decided to use a different recruiter and they told me they have connections to the companies that I applied for myself. Unfortunately, they cannot re-submit my resumes.
Did they explain why they cannot do that? I don't think that's generally true.

Quote:
[/b]-Should I not have applied for positions myself if it seems like recruiters can at least get me phone interviews? The disappointing results from the first recruiter led me to feel like I should take matters into my own hands.
Do you mean "if it seems like they can" or "if they can". Recruiters will tell you how much better they could have done than what you did, because that's their marketing plan. I'm not saying it's not true, and certainly most of them actually believe what they're selling; but don't put too much stock in what a recruiter tells you they can do. "Oh, well I already sent my resume to those ten companies but look forward to seeing what marvelous results you can produce on the 990 companies that I haven't submitted my resume to".

I would 100% skip the recruiter and market yourself to any companies that you have your own connections to. If you don't have connections and you're just firing in a resume on a website or whatever, it's not so obvious which is best, but definitely I would rather market myself than have somebody else marketing me. YMMV

Quote:
-I feel like I'm pretty much screwed since the second recruiter seems like she could have connected me to these companies that are supposedly hiring, but my resume is stuck in the system.
If they're hiring, and they want to hire you, you'll hear from them. Even when I was less into doing my own marketing, I always viewed recruiters as important for companies that I can't find on my own. Again, YMMV.

Quote:
-I honestly don't feel like my resume is poor enough to just have it be stuck in the system. My resume has been checked by many people including some Fellows, so realistically what can I do to at least land some phone interviews?
OK, who has a link to the thread we just had, where I wrote out how to follow up with these companies. Call them up and ask why you haven't heard, get the resume un-stuck, or at least find out why they don't think your'e qualified.

I will say that a lot of companies slow down this time of year, and then pick back up in January. Don't wait, but also don't get too freaked out by lack of response.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:30 PM

This thread:
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...d.php?t=336087