Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Old 01-27-2004, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8down0togo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic
Yes, that would indeed be what I would question if he tells me that 1. he teaches SAT and 2. he doesn't know his own score.

Wouldn't you?
I'm having a lot of trouble following this argument.

This guy took his SATs 8 years ago.

It's like a 24 year old person teaching junior high school (let's say 9th grade) Algebra. I don't think I would question the consistency (or credibility or whatever) of that individual if that individual didn't remeber what she got for a grade in 9th grade algebra 8 years earlier. Maybe I'd expect her to be able to tell me "I got an A" or "I got a B" but not necessarily "I got a 92".

I don't see what teaching an SAT class and remembering what score you got on the test 8 years ago have to do with one another.
Read what yoda said. Because they ask for the score if you're to teach.

Also, do you remember your scores for all your SOA exams?
Old 01-27-2004, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley
Quote:
I don't see what teaching an SAT class and remembering what score you got on the test 8 years ago have to do with one another.
What if he is teaching an SAT class, doesn't remember the score, AND DIDN'T go to Harvard or Penn?
Same thing.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Read what TWH said - they don't ask for the courses he taught. Of course, only Yoda has credibility and integrity, so you can just stick with that, and TWH is still a liar.

Quote:
No. Probably most, but certainly not all.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:00 PM

I wasn't asking you. You obviously remember your SAT scores plenty well.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:04 PM
Resident Snob
SOA

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, that would indeed be what I would question if he tells me that 1. he teaches SAT and 2. he doesn't know his own score.

Wouldn't you?
I'm having a lot of trouble following this argument.

This guy took his SATs 8 years ago.

It's like a 24 year old person teaching junior high school (let's say 9th grade) Algebra. I don't think I would question the consistency (or credibility or whatever) of that individual if that individual didn't remeber what she got for a grade in 9th grade algebra 8 years earlier. Maybe I'd expect her to be able to tell me "I got an A" or "I got a B" but not necessarily "I got a 92".

I'm sure some people think that remembering their SOA exams scores are more important, and more relevant in their life, than remembering their SAT score, vice versa, and the third.

The point is, no matter what anyone's arguement is, it is rediculious to judge a persons honesty, credability, integrity, smarts, or whatever by a test that is usually taken either you soph. or junior year in high school; during a time when you had no clue what u'd be doing with your life 10-15 years later.

It is equally rediculious to expect that people remember what they scored on a 7th grade math test, a high school enterance exam, or a SAT exam; and then be unable to understand nor accept that said person doesn't remember the score.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:07 PM
Resident Snob
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley
Quote:
Read what TWH said - they don't ask for the courses he taught. Of course, only Yoda has credibility and integrity, so you can just stick with that, and TWH is still a liar.

Quote:
No. Probably most, but certainly not all.
U'r Un-credible!

Old 01-27-2004, 10:10 PM

You can question my credibility all you want.

By the way, maybe he taught the SAT's a few years ago when he still remembered his scores, or had them somewhere he could look them up, but chucked them out or lost them some time afterwards. It's not like I need to quote my SAT scores every day of the week.

Or maybe he's just lying. Who cares!!!!!!

Fentissimo
Old 01-28-2004, 12:53 AM

I received perfect scores on my SAT (and nearly perfect scores on GREs), but I don't give a damn about them in interviewing. In fact, a candidate who doesn't remember his/her score makes me yawn, not raise red flags (read: I don't even ask the question). Everyone who knows me tells me that I have the most unusual interviewing style around, but I RARELY make a bad call because I focus on the person not the paper.

If you need the job, jump through the hoop. Don't freak out about it. You're going to base your decision based on your criteria and they'll make their decisions based on their criteria. It's a game. Remember: YOU DON'T HAVE A THING TO LOSE.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:56 AM
SOA

Studying for Nothing
College: Georgia State University - Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Waiting Hurts
Dose anyone else remember their SAT scores?
I don't remember it off hand, but I still have every award, test results, college acceptance letters, etc from Kindergarten up. I'm not nearly as OLD as some of you 8) but I did graduate high school 11 years ago..so some of that stuff is virtually ancient
Old 01-28-2004, 10:10 AM

Default Re: Geico - SAT score?

Quote:

Not to keep this thread going but just to answer your question, no, I don't remember the scores for all of my SoA exams. And I'd certainly have to do some serious digging to find out what I scored on the exams I took as recently as 5 years ago.

Assuming that they do ask for your score if you're to teach (although it sounds like they don't always), that's the concern of the previous employer (the SAT prep people), not Geico. You can't expect someone to go back and prove that they meet the qualifications for a previous position - especially a previous non-actuarial position. One thing has nothing to do with the other. I'm not saying they shouldn't ask for SAT scores, just that they shouldn't question TWH's credibility or consistency for not recalling the exact scores. If they want to use SAT scores as a proxy for intelligence, aptitude, mathematical ability,... that at least makes sense. I think it's the whole "If I were to hire someone, this would not sit well with me. At all." bit that bothers me.