Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 01-27-2004, 04:33 PM

Default Re: Geico - SAT score?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Waiting Hurts

I don't mean to be political but this practice, too me, seems as if it is another way for companies to be biased toward its applicants.

I teach a SAT math prep course, and came across staggering statistics. The people that score below average on the SATs tend to be minorities. It seem to me that a corporation using this form of candidate selection, is no better than the person not giving someone a job b/c of ....
Well , that is what the SAT was designed to do.
Old 01-27-2004, 04:46 PM
Resident Snob
SOA

Is this a growing trend across the job market or within localized sectors of the market?
Old 01-27-2004, 04:55 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
I teach a SAT math prep course...
You teach an SAT math prep course, and you don't remember your exact score?

Alright, maybe I'm being a bit harsh.

I don't think GEICO should be doing this. Seems more like an HR requirement. Perhaps you didn't go to a well-known university, so they want to know if you went to some lesser school DESPITE your great SAT scores or BECAUSE of you SAT scores.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art
Old 01-27-2004, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan
Quote:
Yeah, you can say that again.

I wouldn't tell the prospective employer that, in additional to the fact that you don't remember your score.

If I were to hire someone, this would not sit well with me. At all.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:06 PM
Resident Snob
SOA

Quote:
Quote:

I don't think GEICO should be doing this. Seems more like an HR requirement. Perhaps you didn't go to a well-known university, so they want to know if you went to some lesser school DESPITE your great SAT scores or BECAUSE of you SAT scores.
My school is pretty well known, especially for an actuarial position - there should be no question about that.

I just find the qestioning of a SAT score from ten years ago a bit odd; and I wanted to know if anyone else thought the same. I don't remember my score b/c I'd never thought that it would be used to judge me ten years later. I didn't need to prove my SAT score to teach, just my current GPA; I was already a math major - guess they didn't care either.

HR practices or not, it's a terrible way to decide whether an applicant is more qualified than another applicant. Why don't we start going by who was born earlier in the calendar year than others.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:07 PM
CAS

Studying for this space for rent

750 Math, 530 Verbal. That would have been around 1988.

They had a program where advanced kids could take it as 7th graders - my Math was a 640 then! I was invited to some silly presentation in a nearby state and was given some stupid biology textbook as an award.

Earlier in the calendar year? You might be on to something. The later in the year, the better the chance the kid started school at an early age (I turned 5 the month I entered Kindergarten, another kid could have been 9 months older) and may have been less mature or prepared.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

My school is pretty well known, especially for an actuarial position - there should be no question about that.

I just find the qestioning of a SAT score from ten years ago a bit odd; and I wanted to know if anyone else thought the same. I don't remember my score b/c I'd never thought that it would be used to judge me ten years later. I didn't need to prove my SAT score to teach, just my current GPA; I was already a math major - guess they didn't care either.

HR practices or not, it's a terrible way to decide whether an applicant is more qualified than another applicant. Why don't we start going by who was born earlier in the calendar year than others.
Sometimes it's not a matter of the numbers, but the integrity and consistency you show as a prospective employer.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:12 PM
Resident Snob
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, you can say that again.

I wouldn't tell the prospective employer that, in additional to the fact that you don't remember your score.

If I were to hire someone, this would not sit well with me. At all.
Y? Y does my score make a difference? Y should my score make a difference?

I've gone to college, was a math and actuarial double major, and obtained a very good GPA - I was never asked to provide an SAT score in order to teach the class. I didn;t know that they were usually asked for.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:14 PM

Again, it's the consistency. You have less credibility if you tell me you used to instruct in a prep course and yet you don't remember your score.

I much rather have someone who has a lower score than to be inconsistent.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:14 PM
Resident Snob
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sometimes it's not a matter of the numbers, but the integrity and consistency you show as a prospective employer.
The score I received on my SAT shows my integrity and consistency as a person?