Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 11-19-2018, 02:19 PM
Colonel Smoothie's Avatar
Colonel Smoothie Colonel Smoothie is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale
Posts: 49,282
Default

Sounds fine with me. I have gotten jobs at places that I have been rejected at previously. Oftentimes when we interview people, we like all the candidates but we only have one opening at the time, but when a new opening is available, the ones rejected the first time around are often considered again.
__________________
Recommended Readings for the EL Actuary || Recommended Readings for the EB Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-19-2018, 02:23 PM
jdgreene's Avatar
jdgreene jdgreene is offline
SOA
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Studying for Taleo Avoidance
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
Sounds fine with me. I have gotten jobs at places that I have been rejected at previously. Oftentimes when we interview people, we like all the candidates but we only have one opening at the time, but when a new opening is available, the ones rejected the first time around are often considered again.
Exactly how I landed my current role. You might've impressed last time and could be ahead of your current competition.
__________________
P/1 FM/2 MFE/3F C/4
Economics Finance Statistics
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-20-2018, 09:52 AM
Maximally Qualified's Avatar
Maximally Qualified Maximally Qualified is offline
Member
CAS AAA
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Studying for years
Posts: 444
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
Sounds fine with me. I have gotten jobs at places that I have been rejected at previously. Oftentimes when we interview people, we like all the candidates but we only have one opening at the time, but when a new opening is available, the ones rejected the first time around are often considered again.
This sounds right. When I was passed over for EL jobs in the olden days, I took it very personally but now that I'm on the hiring side, I see that it's usually a bunch of candidates we would be happy to hire and we have to split hairs to pick one (or more than one).
__________________
Taylor originally called his product "Taylor's Prepared Ham", but was forced to change the name after it failed to meet the new legal definition of "ham" established by the Pure Food and Drug Act of 1906.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-20-2018, 10:24 AM
yoyo's Avatar
yoyo yoyo is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 23,728
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostess View Post
Nope, I really want this opportunity and imma gonna try my damn well best to get it.
Be prepared, be confident, be the one they select.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-20-2018, 10:34 AM
The_Polymath's Avatar
The_Polymath The_Polymath is offline
Member
CAS SOA
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2,673
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximally Qualified View Post
This sounds right. When I was passed over for EL jobs in the olden days, I took it very personally but now that I'm on the hiring side, I see that it's usually a bunch of candidates we would be happy to hire and we have to split hairs to pick one (or more than one).
I am also on the hiring side, and it really amazes me how much emphasis is placed on "gut feel" when it comes to hiring a candidate.
__________________
Quote:
Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-20-2018, 10:37 AM
The_Polymath's Avatar
The_Polymath The_Polymath is offline
Member
CAS SOA
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2,673
Default

Just to expand on that point:

I have seen people with amazing CVs, with all the right skills and education (who also interviewed ok) get passed over for a person with limited skills, but who managed to click with the interviewer.

It really shouldn't be like this tbh.
__________________
Quote:
Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-20-2018, 12:31 PM
Fracktuary Fracktuary is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,886
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Polymath View Post
Just to expand on that point:

I have seen people with amazing CVs, with all the right skills and education (who also interviewed ok) get passed over for a person with limited skills, but who managed to click with the interviewer.

It really shouldn't be like this tbh.
Being able to click with people is important too.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-20-2018, 01:33 PM
act2106 act2106 is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostess View Post
Well my name is very international sounding (i applied with my international name last time). So I went with my english name this time (but same last name... just different first name), so idk if this will cause problems in the future.
To me, this changes it. Nobody else mentioned it so maybe I'm overreacting, but applying with a different name would make me want to be sure I mention it so they don't think you're trying to pull one over on them.

I would still go to the interview, but I would be sure to bring it up at least with HR and maybe with others if it seems appropriate. I just wouldn't want them to have the impression that you didn't get the job before so now you're trying it again with the hopes that they won't remember you from before.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-20-2018, 01:37 PM
The_Polymath's Avatar
The_Polymath The_Polymath is offline
Member
CAS SOA
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2,673
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by act2106 View Post
To me, this changes it. Nobody else mentioned it so maybe I'm overreacting, but applying with a different name would make me want to be sure I mention it so they don't think you're trying to pull one over on them.

I would still go to the interview, but I would be sure to bring it up at least with HR and maybe with others if it seems appropriate. I just wouldn't want them to have the impression that you didn't get the job before so now you're trying it again with the hopes that they won't remember you from before.
No reason whatsoever to mention it as they already have his other details. You are simply complicating the situation for no real gain by mentioning it.
__________________
Quote:
Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.24268 seconds with 11 queries