Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Old 11-19-2018, 02:19 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Sounds fine with me. I have gotten jobs at places that I have been rejected at previously. Oftentimes when we interview people, we like all the candidates but we only have one opening at the time, but when a new opening is available, the ones rejected the first time around are often considered again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:23 PM
SOA

Studying for Taleo Avoidance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
Sounds fine with me. I have gotten jobs at places that I have been rejected at previously. Oftentimes when we interview people, we like all the candidates but we only have one opening at the time, but when a new opening is available, the ones rejected the first time around are often considered again.
Exactly how I landed my current role. You might've impressed last time and could be ahead of your current competition.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:52 AM
CAS AAA

Studying for years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
This sounds right. When I was passed over for EL jobs in the olden days, I took it very personally but now that I'm on the hiring side, I see that it's usually a bunch of candidates we would be happy to hire and we have to split hairs to pick one (or more than one).
Taylor originally called his product "Taylor's Prepared Ham", but was forced to change the name after it failed to meet the new legal definition of "ham" established by the Pure Food and Drug Act of 1906.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:24 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostess View Post
Nope, I really want this opportunity and imma gonna try my damn well best to get it.
Be prepared, be confident, be the one they select.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:34 AM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximally Qualified View Post
This sounds right. When I was passed over for EL jobs in the olden days, I took it very personally but now that I'm on the hiring side, I see that it's usually a bunch of candidates we would be happy to hire and we have to split hairs to pick one (or more than one).
I am also on the hiring side, and it really amazes me how much emphasis is placed on "gut feel" when it comes to hiring a candidate.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:37 AM
CAS SOA

Just to expand on that point:

I have seen people with amazing CVs, with all the right skills and education (who also interviewed ok) get passed over for a person with limited skills, but who managed to click with the interviewer.

It really shouldn't be like this tbh.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:31 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Polymath View Post
Just to expand on that point:

I have seen people with amazing CVs, with all the right skills and education (who also interviewed ok) get passed over for a person with limited skills, but who managed to click with the interviewer.

It really shouldn't be like this tbh.
Being able to click with people is important too.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:33 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostess View Post
Well my name is very international sounding (i applied with my international name last time). So I went with my english name this time (but same last name... just different first name), so idk if this will cause problems in the future.
To me, this changes it. Nobody else mentioned it so maybe I'm overreacting, but applying with a different name would make me want to be sure I mention it so they don't think you're trying to pull one over on them.

I would still go to the interview, but I would be sure to bring it up at least with HR and maybe with others if it seems appropriate. I just wouldn't want them to have the impression that you didn't get the job before so now you're trying it again with the hopes that they won't remember you from before.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:37 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by act2106 View Post
To me, this changes it. Nobody else mentioned it so maybe I'm overreacting, but applying with a different name would make me want to be sure I mention it so they don't think you're trying to pull one over on them.

I would still go to the interview, but I would be sure to bring it up at least with HR and maybe with others if it seems appropriate. I just wouldn't want them to have the impression that you didn't get the job before so now you're trying it again with the hopes that they won't remember you from before.
No reason whatsoever to mention it as they already have his other details. You are simply complicating the situation for no real gain by mentioning it.