Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Surveys
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 06-21-2019, 11:37 AM
Vorian Atreides's Avatar
Vorian Atreides Vorian Atreides is offline
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: As far as 3 cups of sugar will take you
Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers
Posts: 66,449
Default

IMO, everything she does is magic.

Everything she does just turns me on.
__________________
I find your lack of faith disturbing

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!


Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-21-2019, 12:08 PM
glassy glassy is offline
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 5,083
Default

Oh, Oh, Oh, it's magic, you know
Never believe it's not so
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-21-2019, 12:16 PM
ARTS's Avatar
ARTS ARTS is offline
Official Reef Pastor
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 6,316
Default

Do I need magical specs to see the poll?
__________________
"[ARTS] should comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable"
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-21-2019, 12:39 PM
Tarot Actuary's Avatar
Tarot Actuary Tarot Actuary is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 142
Default

Other posters are correct to point out that the question is fairly meaningless without a good, working definition of magic. Even clarifying that OP specifically meant something numinous or extra-natural, as opposed to card tricks, doesn't get us very far (and I am making that assumption, because otherwise this thread is even sillier than it already is).

If you're interested in the study of magic (with a "k," if you like, I do not like), you won't get very far before running into the name of Alistair Crowley (whose history I'll let you research on your own), so for the sake of discussion, we could do a lot worse than to look at the working definition he used. "Magick is the Science and Art of causing Change to occur in conformity with Will." That's quite an expansive definition. Why, by that definition, the very act of willing your fingers to tip-tap out an internet post could be called an extremely magical act. Indeed, if I understand Crowley's beleifs correctly, he would very much agree with that assertion. But that would lead us to a pretty weird discussion here. Is the act of using your will to cause your body to effect change in the world "demonic?" I would be very interested in hearing from someone arguing that it is.

Vorion Atreides gets a special sticker for pointing out that we need to establish what we mean by "demonic." For most people who would ask the question, "Is magic demonic," I think we can make some assumptions about the kind of demon you're talking about, and the tradition from which that archetype comes. The question really being asked is, "Is magic evil." That's an interesting discussion on its own, but one much more broad than I feel like tackling on a lazy Friday afternoon. Trying to define "magic" is tricky. Trying to define "evil?" Above my celestial pay grade.

For one of Crowley's Golden Dawn associates, on the other hand, the question would be ridiculous. Some magic (goetic, for example), is demonic by definition, inasmuch as it deals with demons by names. Enochian magic, on the other hand, was delivered by angels, and is thus strictly angelic (unless you believe that the angels in question were actually demons dissimulating, which admittedly does sound a lot like something a demon would do). Asking "Is magic demonic" is like asking "Is actuarial science Bornhuetter-Fergusonian."

For those with less structured world views, practitioners of chaos magic for example, the question is meaningless in a different way. Some might believe that angels and demons are real, but are actually manifestations emerging from the creative power of human thoughts and fears, and anything angelic or demonic about them is likewise the result of the bias of human worldview. Others might believe that angels and demons have no external reality outside of the human imagination, but nonetheless have found that they have a certain psychic "reality" to them, and that treating these psychic ("imaginary," if you like, again, I do not) entities as if they had their own reality can help them achieve results in their spiritual journey just the same as if these entities had an independent existence. The quote you might hear: it's all in your head, you just have no idea how big your head is.

These are all, I should point out, summaries of pretty modern understandings of what magic is or might be. I'm sure I don't need to explain that you could slice out any decade from the past couple thousand years of western history, and find very different interpretations and ontologies that require completely different discussions on how "magic" and "demonic" should be defined.

All this to say my short answer is, "No, with an if," long answer, "Yes, with a but." If you need further solace, I have something or other by Lon Milo DuQuette in my office.
__________________
Free readings: inquire inside!

Last edited by Tarot Actuary; 06-21-2019 at 12:43 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-21-2019, 02:52 PM
Non-Commutative Peach's Avatar
Non-Commutative Peach Non-Commutative Peach is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 547
Default

Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-21-2019, 03:29 PM
Vorian Atreides's Avatar
Vorian Atreides Vorian Atreides is offline
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: As far as 3 cups of sugar will take you
Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers
Posts: 66,449
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarot Actuary View Post
Other posters are correct to point out that the question is fairly meaningless without a good, working definition of magic. Even clarifying that OP specifically meant something numinous or extra-natural, as opposed to card tricks, doesn't get us very far (and I am making that assumption, because otherwise this thread is even sillier than it already is).

If you're interested in the study of magic (with a "k," if you like, I do not like), you won't get very far before running into the name of Alistair Crowley (whose history I'll let you research on your own), so for the sake of discussion, we could do a lot worse than to look at the working definition he used. "Magick is the Science and Art of causing Change to occur in conformity with Will." That's quite an expansive definition. Why, by that definition, the very act of willing your fingers to tip-tap out an internet post could be called an extremely magical act. Indeed, if I understand Crowley's beleifs correctly, he would very much agree with that assertion. But that would lead us to a pretty weird discussion here. Is the act of using your will to cause your body to effect change in the world "demonic?" I would be very interested in hearing from someone arguing that it is.

Vorion Atreides gets a special sticker for pointing out that we need to establish what we mean by "demonic." For most people who would ask the question, "Is magic demonic," I think we can make some assumptions about the kind of demon you're talking about, and the tradition from which that archetype comes. The question really being asked is, "Is magic evil." That's an interesting discussion on its own, but one much more broad than I feel like tackling on a lazy Friday afternoon. Trying to define "magic" is tricky. Trying to define "evil?" Above my celestial pay grade.

For one of Crowley's Golden Dawn associates, on the other hand, the question would be ridiculous. Some magic (goetic, for example), is demonic by definition, inasmuch as it deals with demons by names. Enochian magic, on the other hand, was delivered by angels, and is thus strictly angelic (unless you believe that the angels in question were actually demons dissimulating, which admittedly does sound a lot like something a demon would do). Asking "Is magic demonic" is like asking "Is actuarial science Bornhuetter-Fergusonian."

For those with less structured world views, practitioners of chaos magic for example, the question is meaningless in a different way. Some might believe that angels and demons are real, but are actually manifestations emerging from the creative power of human thoughts and fears, and anything angelic or demonic about them is likewise the result of the bias of human worldview. Others might believe that angels and demons have no external reality outside of the human imagination, but nonetheless have found that they have a certain psychic "reality" to them, and that treating these psychic ("imaginary," if you like, again, I do not) entities as if they had their own reality can help them achieve results in their spiritual journey just the same as if these entities had an independent existence. The quote you might hear: it's all in your head, you just have no idea how big your head is.

These are all, I should point out, summaries of pretty modern understandings of what magic is or might be. I'm sure I don't need to explain that you could slice out any decade from the past couple thousand years of western history, and find very different interpretations and ontologies that require completely different discussions on how "magic" and "demonic" should be defined.

All this to say my short answer is, "No, with an if," long answer, "Yes, with a but." If you need further solace, I have something or other by Lon Milo DuQuette in my office.
First, to clarify my request for clarification of the definition of "demonic" is also to extend to the idea that "magic(k)" is a form of "demonic control".

Second, I think King of the Hill captures Crowley's ideology and definition of magic(k) in the episode Witches of East Arlen. IMO, a fun 23 minutes (exclusive of commercials) worth of anyone's time.
__________________
I find your lack of faith disturbing

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!


Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-21-2019, 03:51 PM
Tarot Actuary's Avatar
Tarot Actuary Tarot Actuary is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 142
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorian Atreides View Post
First, to clarify my request for clarification of the definition of "demonic" is also to extend to the idea that "magic(k)" is a form of "demonic control".
Oh, of course! Some would say the two topics are intractably linked, but again, you have to decide what you really mean by either word before you can decide if they're conceptually severable.

Quote:
Second, I think King of the Hill captures Crowley's ideology and definition of magic(k) in the episode Witches of East Arlen. IMO, a fun 23 minutes (exclusive of commercials) worth of anyone's time.
How wonderful! I haven't seen all of King of the Hill, so I didn't know about this episode.

Spoiler:



3 minutes in
__________________
Free readings: inquire inside!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-21-2019, 04:21 PM
Tarot Actuary's Avatar
Tarot Actuary Tarot Actuary is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 142
Default

Okay, that was fun. I don't find it to be particularly reminiscent of Crowley/GD type stuff. It more puts me in mind of a sort of generic LaVeyan/Left Hand Path kind of mileau.

On a side note:
https://kingofthehill.fandom.com/wik..._of_East_Arlen
Quote:
Bobby begins giving tarot readings, including one to Bill Dauterive. Bill gets The Ten of Swords card, which Bobby initially understands to denote prosperity (Bill recalls his recent romantic luck with Laoma as confirmation of this). Unfortunately, the card is upsidedown, which instead is a sign of "pain, affliction, tears, sadness, desolation." It is interesting to note that all mention of Bill's relationship with Laoma ceases after this episode.
Hopefully this gives pause to those of you who doubt the efficacy of tarot.
__________________
Free readings: inquire inside!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-21-2019, 05:39 PM
Entropy Entropy is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Earth...ish
Favorite beer: The Meddler
Posts: 9,929
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper07734 View Post
I don't know about demonic, but, any attempt to invoke superstitions/the supernatural that is inconsistent with my faith's fundamental theology is a no from me, dawg (other than if done for entertainment/in jest).

ETA: Not to be construed as invalidating other major faith's theologies. I'm talking about horoscope/witchcraft/ouija board/cultist $#!+.
Does "theology" automatically not include "magic" then? Why wouldn't you consider them to be "demonic"? Just trying to understand which religions/theologies you'll make fun of. Scientology fair game?
__________________
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMO View Post
I'll tell you straight up that I think my religion is better than yours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scars View Post
Outside the context of my faith, I am not intolerant of you ... If anything here, you're being a bit of a bigot towards me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Descalzo View Post
I thought that's what I was saying, exactly. One day I (or people like me) will be thought of exactly as you and I think of racists in the deep south.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginormous76 View Post
I put the whole cob in my mouth and suck the kernels right off in one swift motion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle Giant View Post
What 6-year-old boy didn't occasionally stick his junk between his legs during bathtime just to say, "Look, Mommy, I'm a girl!" as a joke?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Fett Cake Pan View Post
I can see having a discussion about magic potions vs. pharmaceuticals in a chemistry class. I think that's a good idea.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-21-2019, 06:27 PM
Jasper07734's Avatar
Jasper07734 Jasper07734 is offline
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 6,810
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
Does "theology" automatically not include "magic" then? Why wouldn't you consider them to be "demonic"? Just trying to understand which religions/theologies you'll make fun of. Scientology fair game?
I will make fun of the ones that aren't mine, obviously.

Scientology is a cult, so it is always fair game.
__________________
The revAOlution will be complete when the language is perfect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper07734 View Post
I was thinking [that the AO is] more like Pocket Pool: You think you're driving your point home hard, until you realize that you're really only busting your own balls
Quote:
Originally Posted by William F. Buckley, Jr.
Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.
Spoiler:
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.54541 seconds with 9 queries