Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Corporate Finance and ERM (CFE) Track > ERM Exam
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ERM Exam Old Advanced Finance and Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) Forum

Old 08-19-2019, 05:58 PM
SOA

College: Eastern Kentucky University Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by E View Post
Yes, we have dedicated videos for the case study where we walk you through both the core parts and extension-specific parts. However, because the exam committee decided to make changes to the case study and how it will be tested, we had to take down the previous videos and are in the process of making new ones. We had to wait to see what the new case study actually looked like.
That's great to hear! I'll leave you alone then so you can focus on putting the lessons together. Really appreciate the effort you guys put into this.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:47 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for LFV
College: WPI Alumni
Favorite beer: Shipyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by E View Post
Yes, we have dedicated videos for the case study where we walk you through both the core parts and extension-specific parts. However, because the exam committee decided to make changes to the case study and how it will be tested, we had to take down the previous videos and are in the process of making new ones. We had to wait to see what the new case study actually looked like.
Is there an anticipated release date for these? Or are they out and I'm not seeing them? Thanks for all the help and hard work
Old 09-11-2019, 11:31 AM
Eddie Smith
SOA

College: UGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdstrmfblynch79 View Post
Is there an anticipated release date for these? Or are they out and I'm not seeing them? Thanks for all the help and hard work
Yes should be early to mid-week next week. You can always check the latest estimates in the Revision History and Scheduled Updates spreadsheet posted in the course. Thanks!

Learn how FSA exams are different from the prelims

We have your exam covered:

LPM | LFMU | LFMC | LAM | ERM | QFI Quant | QFI PM | QFI IRM | G&H DP | G&H FV | G&H Sp

Check out our Technical Skills Course and our R Course!

Connect on Twitter, Facebook, & LinkedIn
Old 09-15-2019, 06:39 PM
SOA

College: Brown University

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdstrmfblynch79 View Post
I wanted to give an update here as we posted a lot of new materials to the TIA seminar today!

First, the TIA practice exam is now posted! This is based on the latest Fall 2019 case study. We put in samples of how we think the ERM Core questions can relate to the case study in our practice exam. There are practice exams and solutions to each of the four extensions we cover (GenCorp/Inv/ILA/Health).

Additionally, at the bottom of the "ERM Core" tab of the seminar, there is now a new set of materials covering the Fall 2019 case study. There are some introductory videos, and then breakdown videos of Section 0 and 1 of the case study. Those are all ready now, and you should see 10 videos total. Additionally, you will see more videos in your extension tab covering the additional pages that are relevant based on your extension. We have those additional videos posted for Investments/GenCorp/Health now, and the ILA videos will be posted in the next few days.

Edit: As of 9/18, all extension videos, including ILA, are up now too! So all updates are now completed!

Good luck on ERM!

QFI Quant | QFI PM | QFI IRM | LAM | ERM

Follow TIA on instagram: the_infinite_actuary

Last edited by Zakfischer; 09-18-2019 at 12:27 PM..
Old 09-18-2019, 03:27 PM
SOA

College: Eastern Kentucky University Alumni

Just finished going through the new TIA case study videos. These were extremely helpful. On my initial reading of the case study, I was getting discouraged because it is so dense with so much information. These lessons definitely left me feeling a lot better about this. Still I'm hoping there aren't a bunch of questions that utilize the case study!
Old 09-18-2019, 06:54 PM
Eddie Smith
SOA

College: UGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arms91 View Post
Just finished going through the new TIA case study videos. These were extremely helpful. On my initial reading of the case study, I was getting discouraged because it is so dense with so much information. These lessons definitely left me feeling a lot better about this. Still I'm hoping there aren't a bunch of questions that utilize the case study!
Glad the videos helped! Yeah, we are trying to think positive thoughts about the case study too. The new version is incredibly large and dense and seems like it really pushes what exam candidates should be required to navigate through under exam conditions. Before the ERM exam, case studies for FSA exams were typically 40-50 pages. ERM's was already large at 130 pages, but the new 200-page version is astonishing in size. We also don't know how many questions will be based on the case study.

All you can do is spend plenty of time with it and get as familiar as possible with each section, the TOC layout, etc. so you can get to things quickly. Try not to get rattled on exam day and remember that everyone is facing the same challenge.

Learn how FSA exams are different from the prelims

We have your exam covered:

LPM | LFMU | LFMC | LAM | ERM | QFI Quant | QFI PM | QFI IRM | G&H DP | G&H FV | G&H Sp

Check out our Technical Skills Course and our R Course!

Connect on Twitter, Facebook, & LinkedIn
Old 09-19-2019, 04:19 PM
SOA

Hi all, I just opened a new thread seeking criticism for idiot-proof EVA formulas (specifically for ALM and Investment). Please provide your feedback if you can.

http://actuarialoutpost.com/actuaria...47#post9714747

FSA Modules
Old 09-21-2019, 04:33 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for ERM

I know that it is recommended we read the entire case study, but will I honestly be at a disadvantage on test day if I only read the required sections?
Old 09-21-2019, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooTiredtoCare View Post
I know that it is recommended we read the entire case study, but will I honestly be at a disadvantage on test day if I only read the required sections?
I'm interested in the answer to this question as well ���� .. anyone have any insight on this?
Old 09-22-2019, 01:43 PM
SOA

College: Brown University

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arms91 View Post
Awesome! I'm glad the videos helped out! The case study can be very dense, I agree. It's great to hear the videos helped you work through them and feel better about approaching the case study.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooTiredtoCare View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenwidget View Post
I'm interested in the answer to this question as well ���� .. anyone have any insight on this?
For those using TIA, I make comments on this in the case study videos. Go to slide 4 at about 6:35. The first two videos in the case study video series (Intro, Tips & FAQ) go in detail through these kinds of common general questions you might have about the case study.

My general recommendation is to focus on the pages relevant for ERM Core + your extension (seen on pages 1-2 of the case study and slide 5 of the TIA intro video). You'll want to spend 95%+ of your case study time on your relevant pages. They do state "all candidates are encouraged to read through the entire case study", but I wouldn't go overboard based on this comment. The case study is now over 200 pages, and I don't think it's worth spending more than an hour on pages not flagged for your extension. For me, when I took ERM I did a super quick 15-30 minute skim of the full case study (not even reading every word, but getting a general feel for the contents), and then spent the vast majority of my time mastering the pages that were flagged for my extension. I just think it's much more important to prioritize and spend the time on the relevant pages that are flagged, and not get lost trying to understand every detail of the 200+ page case study. Everyone has their own approach, but this is what worked for me and what I would recommend. You can adjust to do a little more or less depending on your study schedule.

Hopefully that helps I have more recommendations in the video but this is my main advice on your question.

QFI Quant | QFI PM | QFI IRM | LAM | ERM

Follow TIA on instagram: the_infinite_actuary

Last edited by Zakfischer; 09-22-2019 at 01:48 PM..