Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Open Job Listings > Other / Non-Traditional Employment for Actuaries
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 02-20-2019, 10:31 AM
SOA

Default Quantitative Analyst - Energy - Carmel, IN

• Who: ACES Power (https://www.acespower.com/)
  • Where: Carmel, IN, USA
  • What: Quantitative Analyst - Evaluating portfolio market risks and running valuations for generating assets and other opportunities for electric power companies across the United States
  • Exams? None required, but the more the merrier as they cover the fundamentals.
  • Energy experience? None required. Knowing the fundamentals (risk in-general, probability and statistics, financial concepts, etc.) is key, comfortable with Excel is crucial, knowing VBA/R/other programming skills is bonus. Comfortable with building models (we use an industry-standard model, which utilizes stochastic Monte Carlo simulations). Everything energy-specific can be taught.
  • Pay Band? I don't know the band, but when I made the move as an ASA in the pension world (Indianapolis) 4 to 5 years ago, pay was competitive to where I was at and other compensation (bonus) and benefits were way better.
  • Posting: Apply Here

PM me with any questions you may have.

Quantitative Analyst

This position will be responsible for the development, maintenance, and enhancement of portfolio optimization and risk models. Additionally, the analyst will interact with our clients to identify portfolio risk exposures and develop hedging strategies that support business objectives.

REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
  • Candidate should possess a bachelor’s degree or higher in an appropriate discipline with experience in power system operations, wholesale energy transactions, trading and asset structuring, finance or quantitative study.
  • Minimum of 1 year of experience
  • Demonstrated application of statistics, finance, mathematics, and problem solving, and working knowledge of market mechanisms including forward pricing and option pricing.
  • High degree of analytical and computer skills and the ability to manipulate data and use complex models involving interrelated factors and market movement.
  • Excellent written and oral communication skills.
  • Knowledge of buying and selling energy, transmission rights and capacity in both traditional and ISO markets.
  • Knowledge of the industry’s operating procedures and requirements regarding interconnected regions.
  • Power plant asset valuations.

RESPONSIBILITIES
  • Candidate will be responsible for quantitative analysis for specific clients who are physical load-serving entities dealing with extensive physical, financial, and market risk exposures.
  • Provides reports to senior management.
  • Direct interaction with clients.
  • Provides assistance and direction in the development of hedging strategies, structured transactions, and long term asset developments.
  • Will adhere to all ACES corporate policies and comply with all ACES regulatory requirements, including but not limited to NERC, FERC, and relevant state regulations, as applicable to this position.
  • Any additional responsibilities assigned by management.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:24 AM
SOA

This sounds great, especially if you want to leave exams.

Several years ago I left my actuarial career for an energy utility career.

The energy industry involves hard math problems constrained by laws, regulations and contracts - that should sound familiar to any actuary

Tags
analyst, energy, job, non-traditional, quant