Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Modules 6-8
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:17 AM
SOA

Thumbs up Modules by Difficulty

I haven't done the FA yet, just finishing EOM7. This is how I rate them all from most difficult to least difficult:

EOM1
IA
EOM6
EOM7
EOM3
EOM2
EOM4

How about you? How many did you DNMMR? Where would you put FA in your list if you have finished it?
Old 04-06-2016, 12:14 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for FSA

I'd put FA first not necessarily because of content but the time constraint is what makes it so difficult.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:38 PM
SOA

Studying for pidgeys
Favorite beer: Capt. Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Ninja View Post
I'd put FA first not necessarily because of content but the time constraint is what makes it so difficult.
so for me so far - kinda biased in the order that I hated the most to least

IA
EOM2
EOM6
EOM7
EOM1
EOM3 (is pensions but yea there are other modules that are worse)
EOM4 (if Segal is used, if not would be higher)

FV DP GH-S
HE HF PRF/ERM DMAC FAC
Old 04-06-2016, 02:08 PM
SOA

Studying for Core - GH
College: UWEC Alumni

For me it would go:
  • IA (Only over the FA since you're not allowed to talk to or work with anyone on the IA, also I failed the IA twice)
  • FA (I haven't received a passing grade yet so I reserve the right to move this up the list. Waiting on results for my 2nd attempt.)
  • EOM 6 (This exercise seemed extremely vague to me. I struggled to see exactly what they were asking. Also this is the only EOM exercise I failed so it has to be my most difficult.)
  • EOM 2 (This is another exercise that I thought was rather vague and could've been asked more clearly.)
  • EOM 1 (Just because it's the first exercise, I think everyone will struggle a little getting into a different mindset from the exams.)
  • EOM 3 (This included a decent amount work and but the questions were more clear than the ones listed above.)
  • EOM 7 (This seemed more straight forward to me. This was probably because by the 7th module I was starting to get better at modules.)
  • EOM 6 Retake (I thought this was very straight forward, again this could be due to having done all other modules and the IA and FA by the time I was working on this.)
  • EOM 4 (I thought this was the straight forward and clearly asked module.)

Keep in mind that everyone comprehends things differently, I wouldn't be surprised to see someone with a completely different order. It seemed to me that each EOM exercise, as well as the IA and FA, offer a unique challenge.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:06 PM
SOA

College: Université Laval

Interesting thread. Will be posting once I'm done with the modules.

For modules 1-5 + IA I would say, from most difficult to least difficult:

Interim Assessment
EOM 1
EOM 3
EOM 2
EOM 4

My native language is french and I struggled quite a bit with EOM 3 because I couldn't understand the instructions properly. Just as westp045 said, you have to get into a different mindset when starting those exercices so EOM 1 was kind of difficult, not knowing really what they expect from you.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:32 PM
SOA

Just finished all the modules. I'm posting based on the EOM's but some of the actual modules were harder to get through than others.

From most to least difficult:

FA (still waiting on results, but regardless it was no fun)
IA
EOM 3
EMO 2
EMO 1
EMO 7
EMO 6
EOM 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeaupre View Post
My native language is french and I struggled quite a bit with EOM 3 because I couldn't understand the instructions properly. Just as westp045 said, you have to get into a different mindset when starting those exercices so EOM 1 was kind of difficult, not knowing really what they expect from you.
Like you said, EOM 1 is tough just cuz it's new. EOM 3 was hard to understand the instructions and my native language is English. It was of course the one that I failed, so in my redo I let my manager know that he did a poor job communicating the questions for both assignments.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:39 PM
SOA

FA (took me 70+ hours)
IA (took me 100+ hours)
EOM 2 (lots of 'WTF?!!?!?!')
EOM 6 (some 'WTF?!!?!!')
EOM 3 (still some 'WTF?!!??!')
EOM 1 (confused 'WTF?!?!?!?!' because it's my first module)
EOM 7 (less 'WTF?!!?!?!')
EOM 4 (no 'WTF?!!!!?', then DNMMR'd and 'WTF?!?!?!'. ironically, this is the only one I failed)
Old 03-29-2018, 06:42 PM
SOA

FA
IA
EOM 3
EOM 6
EOM 1
EOM 7
EOM 2
EOM 4
Old 03-29-2018, 07:22 PM

Studying for EA-2L

FA - mostly due to the time pressure, otherwise it would be rated lower.

EOM 7 - didn't get it at all. surprised I passed. my paper looked nothing like the model solution.

EOM 6 - also lots of confusion cause I don't have any experience in universal life (I think it was?). I found a post on the ao that had a link to an article about universal life though that helped lots.

EOM3 - was a while ago, but I think I found the instructions unnecessarily confusing even though the actual exercise should have been easy, especially since it was pensions related and I'm in pensions.

EOM2 - total wtf throughout and would have been the hardest one if not for the fact that I knew that nobody knows what they are doing on this one, but most people pass, so I kept that in mind. I heard from several people that they would get to module 2, read it, freak out and put off the modules for an entire year. knew not to do that though and just write something even if it makes no sense. then after doing that and reading through the model solution I realized my paper was pretty freaking good in the end.

IA - when I opened it I freaked out, but as I got into it thought it wasn't bad at all if you had the books and Actex. Extremely straightforward and very little confusion in the questions as compared to some of the modules where the questions were sort of difficult to interpret what they were looking for.

EOM1 - pretty easy. same EOM they have had since the very beginning of FAP in 2006. I read this in 2006 and thought it was hard and sucked and didn't want to do it. then picked it up 11 short years later and I have no idea wtf I was thinking in 2006 cause it was easy.

EOM4 - easy straightforward exercise. seems to be the most failed module and I don't get why.
Spoiler:

Last edited by ao fan; 03-29-2018 at 07:26 PM..
Old 03-29-2018, 07:28 PM

Studying for EA-2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkunforgivin View Post
FA (took me 70+ hours)
is that like actual hours you were working on it or you uploaded it after 70 hours instead of 96? cause that's 17.5 hours a day if it's the former! that's a lot.

hmmm, actually now that I think about it, I did a ton of research on the ao and in old google groups before even downloading it. if I count that, my hours go way up.
Spoiler:

Tags
eom 6, eom1, eom2, eom3, eom7