Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 11-11-2014, 03:25 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for FAP
College: Alumni
Canada Internship in Toronto

Hi guys,

I apologize if any part of this post is repeating but i looked through tons of post and couldn't find the answers I was looking for.
I have a bachelor in math and physics with 5+ years of experience in tutoring and teaching math and physics in high school. I have been trying to switch careers so I have written/passed exams P, FM, MFE, and C since last summer but have no relevant experience. I have been applying for many jobs online with no luck so I was wondering what I should do to better my chances of getting an entry level job or an internship in Canada. Also I was wondering as a Canadian citizen if I'd have any chance of finding an entry level job or internship in the US.
I'd really appreciate any advice.
Thank you!
Old 11-11-2014, 09:05 AM
SOA

Studying for C
College: State School

Getting a job in the financial department at preferable a bank or insurance company will help the transition. From what i hear Canada has a lot more competition than the U.S. but the chances of getting a work visa for an entry level job will be very hard.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:58 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADarabi View Post
Hi guys,

I apologize if any part of this post is repeating but i looked through tons of post and couldn't find the answers I was looking for.
I have a bachelor in math and physics with 5+ years of experience in tutoring and teaching math and physics in high school. I have been trying to switch careers so I have written/passed exams P, FM, MFE, and C since last summer but have no relevant experience. I have been applying for many jobs online with no luck so I was wondering what I should do to better my chances of getting an entry level job or an internship in Canada. Also I was wondering as a Canadian citizen if I'd have any chance of finding an entry level job or internship in the US.
I'd really appreciate any advice.
Thank you!
If you are a Canadian citizen you can get TN visa to work in the US, and it should be easier for you to find a job in the US than Canada. I know several people who couldn't find entry level job in Canada and ended up working in the US
Old 11-13-2014, 04:52 PM
CAS

Waterloo or Montreal may be less competitive than Toronto, try looking for jobs there
Old 11-17-2014, 11:44 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for FAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Paid Enough View Post
Getting a job in the financial department at preferable a bank or insurance company will help the transition. From what i hear Canada has a lot more competition than the U.S. but the chances of getting a work visa for an entry level job will be very hard.
Thanks for the reply, Not Paid Enough. What specific jobs do you mean by financial departments in banks?
Old 11-17-2014, 11:47 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for FAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanieew View Post
Waterloo or Montreal may be less competitive than Toronto, try looking for jobs there
Thanks Stephanieew, I have started looking into jobs in both cities, tho I don't I'll have much luck with Montreal as I don't speak french.

Tags
canada, entry level advice, internship, switching fields, toronto