Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > CAS > CAS Exams > Exam 7 - Estimation of Policy Liability & ERM
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 08-21-2019, 11:32 AM
CAS

I'm in for 7 in the spring as well. Here's what I have to work with:

-TIA Exam 7
-RF Exam 7 Cookbook 2019.

I saw that CF+RF seems to be the combo that everyone raves about but due to certain circumstances, I ended up with TIA. Will TIA along with the RF Cookbook be enough? I was considering maybe supplementing with the RF Exam 7 Problem Pack and/or the Casual Fellow Study Guide (not the videos). Are these necessary?

Last edited by jmin012; 08-21-2019 at 03:14 PM..
Old 08-23-2019, 01:52 AM
CAS

Studying for 8
Favorite beer: Alcoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmin012 View Post
I'm in for 7 in the spring as well. Here's what I have to work with:

-TIA Exam 7
-RF Exam 7 Cookbook 2019.

I saw that CF+RF seems to be the combo that everyone raves about but due to certain circumstances, I ended up with TIA. Will TIA along with the RF Cookbook be enough? I was considering maybe supplementing with the RF Exam 7 Problem Pack and/or the Casual Fellow Study Guide (not the videos). Are these necessary?
I used TIA as a reference with RF/CF as a primary source, so I'm not sure how the videos are, but imo I found TIA to focus too much on things that weren't testable. It seemed really comprehensive for sure, but there were sections on Brehm where he was explaining things in more depth than the source for no reason. He effectively made a bad paper seem 10x worse imo. The best part about TIA was that it had all the past exam problems well ordered, which I found really useful.

I'd say the cookbook was extremely helpful, and if you get the problem pack you'd be in a really good spot. The CF guide is probably the best written guide, but the problems I'd say are lacking.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:41 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamSon View Post
I used TIA as a reference with RF/CF as a primary source, so I'm not sure how the videos are, but imo I found TIA to focus too much on things that weren't testable. It seemed really comprehensive for sure, but there were sections on Brehm where he was explaining things in more depth than the source for no reason. He effectively made a bad paper seem 10x worse imo. The best part about TIA was that it had all the past exam problems well ordered, which I found really useful.

I'd say the cookbook was extremely helpful, and if you get the problem pack you'd be in a really good spot. The CF guide is probably the best written guide, but the problems I'd say are lacking.
Thanks! I think I'll stick with TIA + RF Cookbook and maybe think about supplementing with the RF Problem Pack sometime in the future.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:04 PM
CAS

College: tDEC survivor
Favorite beer: Capt'n Eli's root

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamSon View Post
I'm curious which year it was that you had this experience. I used TIA for my first attempt at 7 in 2018 and I got the same feeling you described. However, when I took advantage of the free renewal for 2019 he had changed a lot of the materials. The extreme detail he used to include on copulas had mostly been removed, but he also added some crucial things that he had previously omitted from sections on other papers.

To answer jmin: I used TIA+RF for the attempt I actually passed, and felt well-prepared.
Course on Professionalism [✔]
Old 08-27-2019, 03:10 AM
CAS

Studying for 8
Favorite beer: Alcoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaknight14 View Post
I'm curious which year it was that you had this experience. I used TIA for my first attempt at 7 in 2018 and I got the same feeling you described. However, when I took advantage of the free renewal for 2019 he had changed a lot of the materials. The extreme detail he used to include on copulas had mostly been removed, but he also added some crucial things that he had previously omitted from sections on other papers.

To answer jmin: I used TIA+RF for the attempt I actually passed, and felt well-prepared.
I took it this year. That's crazy, I can't imagine how much deeper he went into it before cause 7 imo is deceptively a huge exam, that'd just make it terrible. I still thought the copula section he had was overkill.. that and his whole explanation on the history of different definitions of strategic risk was just so much stuff for what would be like a .5 point question if it ever even came up.

Glad to know someone else felt the same way at some point though. The TIA guy isn't bad, I just felt like he had a different idea of the exam than what usually gets asked.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:29 AM
CAS

College: tDEC survivor
Favorite beer: Capt'n Eli's root

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmin012 View Post
Thanks! I think I'll stick with TIA + RF Cookbook and maybe think about supplementing with the RF Problem Pack sometime in the future.
I must not have noticed that you only have the cookbook from RF so far. Definitely get the problem pack. It is the most useful component of RF imo.
Course on Professionalism [✔]
Old 08-30-2019, 12:46 PM
CAS

Anyone actually started on this yet? I need to kick it into gear. We're 8 months out, and I barely make it to the finish line with 6.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkolChicago View Post
Anyone actually started on this yet? I need to kick it into gear. We're 8 months out, and I barely make it to the finish line with 6.
Plan to start slowly in November. I have TIA, CF, and RF..lot of stuff to go through!
Old 10-10-2019, 02:24 PM
CAS

Studying for 7
College: B.S. University of TN, M.S. Ohio State
Favorite beer: Spotted Cow

Quote:
I want some time off after sitting for 8 this fall, so I'm gonna start casually in december and ramp it up a bit in January after the holidays. I plan on just doing TIA to see how that works out for me.
Old 10-24-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Thanks. The CAS already announced that the syllabus won't change for 2020, so I think I should be good!
Hey Skol. I thought I remembered reading that a couple months ago too....but I just looked on the CAS website and couldn't find that announcement. Do you know where that article is?