Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 06-27-2019, 11:13 AM

Favorite beer: pilseners

This thread has jumped the babel fish.
Old 06-27-2019, 01:31 PM
SOA

careful talking about "complete" theories. It depends on the theories language.
e.g. the theory of algebraic closed fields of a given characteristic is complete, in the sense that all models will satisfy the same set of sentences in the given language. Once again that pesky "language" thingy and the mind.
Old 06-27-2019, 01:33 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
This thread has jumped the babel fish.
indeed, might be time to revisit your positions. Somehow I doubt that will happen but that's for you and God to sort out.
Old 06-27-2019, 01:35 PM
Official Reef Pastor

archcoal, you have me curious, where you you derive your beliefs from? Do you have a tradition you follow, or is this something else?
Old 06-27-2019, 02:23 PM
SOA

I don't follow any tradition. I see value in many places e.g. the Hindu attitude toward wealth and not being allergic to it but seeing it as a potential for good, Shinto idea of being connected to past generations.
Confucianism idea of improving oneself and being practical.
Buddhist idea of contemplation.
However I would say I do have inclinations toward Catholics. In particular the idea of conscience and its interplay with reason. The lessons and example of Christ.
Of course there is tons of value in philosophy in General, you just need to overlook the materialist Godless Acudummy Professors.

regarding your curiosity as to my certainty and derivation of thoughts see case statement :

case 1: feign curiosity then I will say this:

There are those who display inadequate comprehension, discernment, or neutrality in their judgments

confusing their own incomprehension with incomprehensibility

good [idea] | bad [idea]” effectively equivalent to “[idea] that [name] is capable of understanding, and therefore likes | [idea]-like content that [name] is incapable of understanding, and therefore hates

case 2: actually curious then: re read my posts.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:03 PM
Official Reef Pastor

Let me ask another way - as you study those different traditions, how do you discern what's good in them from what's bad? By what do you judge? What's the final authority when you look at a notion and are trying to decide "this is legit" versus "this is bs?"

I'm asking because you throw out a lot of ideas that are pretty far from mainstream. Which makes sense, if you're cobbling your own tradition together from pieces of other traditions. Most people I talk to that do this, they do it with a certain humility, a "this is my path, you find your path" kind of thing. But you seem to use condescension a lot, and I don't detect a lot of humility. I'm not knocking any of your ideas, they're not much weirder than some I have. What I'm wondering is, how do you come by such assurance that you have it figured out and anybody that differs from you is wrong?

I have read most of your posts, when I have time to keep up with this thread. If there's an answer to my question in them that I missed, I apologize.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:16 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing ever again!
Favorite beer: Whisky

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGillotine View Post
Pascal's Wager Against (Calvinist) Christianity

If (Calvinist) Christianity were true, then God will choose who He wants to be saved, and damn who He wants to be damned, regardless of the will of any person, since none can resist His will (Romans 9).

Therefore, one should choose some religion other than (Calvinist) Christianity. If Calvinist Christianity is true, then you will be irresistibly drawn back to belief if you are one of the elect (if you're not one of the elect, you're screwed no matter what you do). If Calvinist Christianity is false, then you will have avoided following a false religion.
This argument makes me happy.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:27 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARTS View Post
Let me ask another way - as you study those different traditions, how do you discern what's good in them from what's bad? By what do you judge? What's the final authority when you look at a notion and are trying to decide "this is legit" versus "this is bs?"

I'm asking because you throw out a lot of ideas that are pretty far from mainstream. Which makes sense, if you're cobbling your own tradition together from pieces of other traditions. Most people I talk to that do this, they do it with a certain humility, a "this is my path, you find your path" kind of thing. But you seem to use condescension a lot, and I don't detect a lot of humility. I'm not knocking any of your ideas, they're not much weirder than some I have. What I'm wondering is, how do you come by such assurance that you have it figured out and anybody that differs from you is wrong?

I have read most of your posts, when I have time to keep up with this thread. If there's an answer to my question in them that I missed, I apologize.

cause to me the proof of god as laid out is logical and anyone who disagrees is deficient in reasoning.

Now how does knowing the existence of God help me, and in particular in ethical decisions on this planet? Geez where do I start, first off its pure mental joy. It puts humanity and its ability to know God in a special place for one, not as cogs on a wheel for big tech. Trying to attain a state of grace would be another. I would argue it makes it easier to balance interest of self with those of others. e.g. not propagating ones own misfortune unto others, making the best of a bad situation. Once you know there is a God who created this show for a reason, while you cannot avoid what happens to you, your reactions to it change. A state of grace is clearly improving yourself and others however fear of death goes out the window.

In short greater utility calculation in ethical decisions with the calculus changing slightly knowing there is a god.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:32 AM
Official Reef Pastor

Fair enough. Thank you for sharing.