Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 01-19-2005, 03:19 PM

Default Experience Rating in Med Mal

Most people are amazed that medical malpractice insurers may not experience rate their insureds. Does anyone know of companies (names not important) that do or do not experience rate physicians for med mal purposes? If there is no experience rating, what are the common reasons given for not experience rating?
Old 01-19-2005, 03:35 PM

I'm not a med-mal expert, but just how many claims do you expect the average doctor to have? You certainly don't want to experience rate based on reports.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:22 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Wine

I don't have any experience in this line, but given the frequency vs. severity issues, I would think "experience" would be taken into account more in underwriting a given doc than in setting rates.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:38 PM

Perhaps not at the individual doctor level, but hospitals and physician groups that take on a substantial deductible are almost certainly going to be rated based at least partially on their own experience.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:45 AM

There are claim-free discounts that are a form of experience rating. A major problem is the length of time it takes to adjudicate claims. A doctor may not have any paid claims from the most recent few years, but some number of open claims. Would you rate him up for claims on which there may be no loss payment? Alternatively, would you rate him up for paid claims from five or more years ago?

Last edited by Mobile Actuary; 01-20-2005 at 11:55 AM..
Old 01-20-2005, 04:36 PM

The reason I asked this question is because Judge Posner on his blog (http://www.becker-posner-blog.com/ar...eformposn.html)wrote that there was no experience rating and he was taken to task for the error by someone who seems informed about the process (see comments at http://yclipse.typepad.com/mmm/2005/..._misses_o.html). I was under the impression that there was little or no real experience rating for med mal.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:39 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloister
Perhaps not at the individual doctor level, but hospitals and physician groups that take on a substantial deductible are almost certainly going to be rated based at least partially on their own experience.
Doctor or physician groups and Hospitals are rated on a case by case basis. How much of it's 'experience' v 'exposure or industry' depends on the size, underwriter and broker.

He sucked all the enjoyment of visting this place out of me.